PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroid--Familiar Newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mollyatta
Wed, Dec-06-06, 21:28
:help: I have been on Synthroid for several years and just had meds re-adjusted. First time that the doc decreased from 112 mg to 100mg?? anyway been on Atkins induction 8 days, I weighed and had lost 3 1/2 lbs. got up this morning and stepped back on the scale and had GAINED a pound back??? so back to having lost 3 lbs all week...does that sound right? and to gain a lb ?? back in one day????, so today I have eaten very lightly and exercised..boy I'll be so upset tomorrow if I gain again, I even walked 3 1/2 miles today....I wonder what the deal is..before when I tried Atkins..even on Synthroid I seemed to have lost easier?? anyone out there with thyroid problems and losing that can encourage me??
Grateful in SC :wave:

Mieranna
Thu, Dec-07-06, 01:59
Mollyatta - I can't really speak to any thyroid issues but I do understand slow loss rates at times. I have begun to care less and less about what the scale says. I think one of the worst things you can do to yourself is to get on the scale every day and let it dictate how you feel about yourself. You are much better off judging by how/what you ate and how you feel. I would suggest you spend your time taking measurements of all your parts so you can properly celebrate when you loose size which is what we're all really after aren't we? :agree: Not that there is no place for the scale but you're better off judging a range of weight vrs. every single pound. Your body is a machine that ebbs and flows at different times of the month and year and whether or not you drank enough water at any given time can make a big difference.

If you find you're not in ketosis or loosing after a couple weeks try cutting back even farther on your carbs even fasting from them from a time has helped me kick start loss and also get me into that deep red color of ketosis.

I hope this helps and remember this is a Way Of Life, you will figure out what works for you, just keep it up!!
:wave:

stacy0912
Thu, Dec-07-06, 08:43
hi mollyatta!
welcome back to atkins...i too am hypothyroid and take a 100mg. when i lost over a 100 pounds five years i lost it fast, and i mean really fast. i was also on my meds and have wondered the same thing this time around. but i am 31 now with a different metabolism, and since i gained back my 100 pounds and then some, i guess having it off fast may not really be for the better in the end...i lost about 3 pounds a week and weigh my self at least once a day..i know bad idea since it seems i lose and gain back those three pounds all week and then one day i'll finally be a few pounds lighter..then another week starts all over again with the same frustrations.
i wish i didn't look at the scale so often but i'm truly addicted. in regards to your thyroid level, if you're on medication, and it's being regulated, your thyroid shouldn't be standing in your way of losing weight. good luck to you.

mollyatta
Thu, Dec-07-06, 12:12
Thank you both Stacy and Mieranna, both of you have really encouraged me today and today I weighed (gonna try not to every day) 2 lbs lighter....I see that my carb intake needs to be even lower, but the walking yesterday helped me I think.
Good luck to you both...as a new member I regard your wisdom highly.

varmit
Tue, Dec-12-06, 07:00
mollyatta, are you drinking your water!? that REALLY helps with getting the excess water weight off as well. keep at it :thup: :wave:

mollyatta
Wed, Dec-13-06, 06:59
Thanks varmit.....I need to concentrate on that!!

DrH
Wed, Dec-13-06, 08:09
I was diagnosed in June as having Hashimoto's Disease (hypothyroidism) - I guess my stats say it all! Oh, I am on Synthroid and Cytomel. Jill

:help: I have been on Synthroid for several years and just had meds re-adjusted. First time that the doc decreased from 112 mg to 100mg?? anyway been on Atkins induction 8 days, I weighed and had lost 3 1/2 lbs. got up this morning and stepped back on the scale and had GAINED a pound back??? so back to having lost 3 lbs all week...does that sound right? and to gain a lb ?? back in one day????, so today I have eaten very lightly and exercised..boy I'll be so upset tomorrow if I gain again, I even walked 3 1/2 miles today....I wonder what the deal is..before when I tried Atkins..even on Synthroid I seemed to have lost easier?? anyone out there with thyroid problems and losing that can encourage me??
Grateful in SC :wave:

mollyatta
Thu, Dec-14-06, 07:42
DR H THAT"S GREAT! so glad to hear that, what an encouragement, how long did it take and what foods did you eat most?? Did you do the Atkins by the book, struggles?? I just went on meat and eggs only and seems to be working better for me, then when I was adding cheeses, broccoli,salads etc. It seems I had to just do M&E to get into ketosis, not that I am concerned with ketosis, but I must be in it or I wouldn't be losing again..what works for one may not work for another, I guess, but it helps to know what others are doing like yourself.
Thanks for the encouragement and if you can tell me anything else that might help. Did you find you could eat veggies/cheeses and still lose ok?

ysabella
Thu, Dec-14-06, 16:03
Be careful about going too low on carbs, actually. In some cases it is a cue for the thyroid to slow down. I get around it by cycling - low calories/carbs most of the week, and a cheat meal on Sunday to kick my metabolism back.

That's not really compatible with Atkins, though.

And like DrH, I'm taking T3 as well as T4 - she's taking Cytomel, I'm taking Armour (which combines T3 and T4). That can help a lot to combat the slowing down that can come from dieting. Although, it means you have to be even more careful with adding things back in!

mollyatta
Fri, Dec-15-06, 06:44
OK...thank you so much!!