PDA

View Full Version : LOts Of Questions (NEWBIE)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jmey100
Fri, Jan-25-02, 17:10
OK how do hot dogs and polish sausage stand in the diet?

Also what about Soy? I like Soy Milk

I have to give up Milk Forever?

Also what about going out to eat?

and CAN I REALLY DO THIS?

LC Sponge
Fri, Jan-25-02, 17:14
Hi - processed foods have to be eaten in caution. There are often additives that are either carb based or unpronounceable. Either way, they are not good for you.

I suggest you get the book "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corrine T. Netzer. It has all the foods you can think of and the carb count in each. It's a must have.

As for "CAN I REALLY DO THIS?" --- I don't know, can you? Pretty much your call :)

Ryan44221
Fri, Jan-25-02, 17:19
Congratulations on choosing this diet...as for your questions:

Hot Dogs/sausage -- you need to be VERY Careful when selecting these items, check the list of ingredients, you want to stay away from sugar, and alot of sausage/bacon is cured with sugar....

Not an expert on soy, someone else will be though...thats the beauty of these boards...

Milk is going to be a no-no for at least the induction phase of the diet, in the OWL portion it may be fine in small quanities....but it is very high in carbs, so i would venture to say that milk is gonna have to be cut out totally.

Going out to eat is a unique challenge....I try not to go to restaurants too hungry for fear i may be tempted to grab a dinner roll or something....I usually stick to easy things, cheeseburgers with salad--no bun....steak with no side, if all thats offered is potatoes....

Hope i helped ya out some :-)

Karen
Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:35
Also what about Soy? I like Soy Milk
Counting carbs should be your guide. Once you determine your carbs for OWL, you can decide if you can fit it in.
I have to give up Milk Forever?
See above.
Also what about going out to eat?
Choose low-carb friendy foods. Protein with salads or vegetables and no starches. Most restaurants are very accomodating.

Have a look at the thread called For Newbies: 'Carb Counting and Label Reading' . Its at the top of the Newbies Questions Forum and will teach you how to create a plan of eating for yourself.

Karen

razzle
Sat, Jan-26-02, 10:53
jmey, try to not think about "forever"--such thoughts can overwhelm us! In creating a healthier self, I think it's best to take a page from the recovery movement's book--one day at a time. Your LC journey may lead you to finding new foods that you never knew you liked. You may lose your taste for sweets and milk sugars. Food is likely to become a smaller and smaller part of your life as cravings disappear. Can you do this just for today? I think so. Tomorrow, you'll get up and make that same decision again.

jmey100
Sat, Jan-26-02, 15:30
I did good yesterday and am doing good today, Just discussed the whole diet with hubby...explained how things will change....Thanks for the encouragement