PDA

View Full Version : Constipation Continues - HELP!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Wak
Fri, Jan-25-02, 08:13
Hi there

I've now completed 3 weeks on the program, Ive lost 14lbs and I've never felt better. There is one downside though.

I still have constipation which from what I've read should have been over with by now as my body has adapted.

I've read the article on this website but nothing has worked.

I've tried to get things going by the following means:

drinking 128oz or more water
psyllium husks ( 2 tablets before each meal)
exercise daily
use almost all my carbs on veg and salad (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower)

I used to go once a day (same time like clockwork), now its every 3 days and I'm getting worried as I don't want to damage my colon.

Has anyone out there got a miracle cure or suggestion.

Both myself and my colon would love to hear from you as we don't want to give us our new healthy life.

Wak

Karen
Sat, Jan-26-02, 00:48
Try upping your fat intake in the form of extra virgin, flax, or Essential Balance oil. I am really hoping this works for you!

A lot of people suffer from constipation in the initial stages of this WOE and your body is still adjusting after years of carb eating.

A thought. Did you stop drinking coffee as well? Coffee is a great "mover" and this could be part of your problem. The first time I stopped drinking coffee, I had no BM for 11 days!

Karen

Wak
Sat, Jan-26-02, 03:07
Thanks Karen

I will get some flax oil suppliments today and see what happens.

Yes I have given up my 8-10 coffees a day, now I have 1 decaf every 2 or 3 days so I guess my body is still a little confused. I'm really enjoying drinking so much water instead , it really does make you feel better than caffeine. I am very luck though as I live in a Spa water town so the water is great tasting.

Wish me luck.

Wak

Heeligan2
Tue, Jan-29-02, 15:17
Another thought - be sure you are taking adequate magnesium. And, you could consider phasing up the psyllium to 4 or 5 tablets three times a day, with food. Good luck!

Erin4980
Tue, Jan-29-02, 16:05
I had some many problems in this area. I tried everything and the only thing that works for me is FIBER and lots of it. Adults should have between 25 and 35 grams of fiber in a day and for most (I read this in a book), they get less than 20...ouch. Anyway, I started eating FIBER 1...it's the highest fiber ceral. I don't know where you are on OWL, but I think most wouldn't suggest this option. I got to the point where I would only "go" every two to three weeks (the three weeks was the worst and drove me to the ceral). Try the other options first, but this has made me as regular as can be:) so I'll sacrifice the 12 carbs in the morning w/ 13 carbs of additional fiber subracted from that, it's not bad as long as I stay under 30 carbs a day.

Good Luck,
Erin

surlymel
Wed, Jan-30-02, 08:26
Cutting out dairy helped me, I had no idea it was causing such a problem.

lisak17
Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:10
I know this topic very well. I am one of those fortunate people who usually only go about once a week. so you can imagine how my body loves this new way of eating. it has gotten worse for me since i am not eating a lot of fiber. but seriously as gross as it might sound, get yourself a good colon cleanser. trust me, from someone who knows, colon cleansers are great. i normally take one tablet each night for 3 nights and KABOOM!! ha ha

most people who have a normal system probably do not need to take 3 to get results. go to your nearest vitamin store. they have tons of them.

good luck.

Erin4980
Thu, Feb-07-02, 18:27
For me those colon cleanser didn't make me regular, but rather explosive...lol.

You know what has helped me alot....FLAXOMEAL. I was using Fiber One, but that was like 23 (13 fiber), so then I tried the FlaxOMeal and 12 carbs (10 fiber)...2 carbs sounds much better to me. I think I need to have a 15-20 to stay regular and that has helped a bunch, well I know it has. Also, I bought some of those Malitol lc bars and they seem to accelerate things (but with some gas)....alright, that's the most descriptive I've been on this forum.

Erin

lisak17
Sun, Feb-10-02, 18:38
wait a minute.... there could be carbs in my colon cleanser?

tlcdoula
Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:11
I wish I had an answer but I don't....

Today I bought some no name brand metamucil. It was the only sugar free one they had at the store. I am just wondering now if there are carbs in it. It does say that there are 22 calories per dose. But doesn't mention anything about carbs fat etc...

Ella
Mon, Feb-11-02, 05:44
Hi,

I haven't had this problem since I got onto LC plan, but I did have it before though.

So, what changed since then. I started eating more cream, more full fat cheese all in all more FAT than I used to. Besides I introduced fish oil capsules to my daily supplements. I read in the Protein Power that EPA (fish oil) stimulates fluids direction to your colon.

Gemma
Thu, Feb-21-02, 04:53
Hi Wak and Everyone

I also think there a few things which really help. I have had problems for years until now. Every other diet I ever tried made my system slow down to a virtual standstill - very uncomfortable!

I have found the following helpful:

1 Water, water and more water

2 Finely ground psyllium husks ("instant" metamucil) is easier to
tolerate than the coarse stuff! Keep adding more each day to
drinks until you reach the stage where your stools are soft and
easy to pass (sorry to be so descriptive!)

3 Guar Gum powder which dissolves without trace in coffee,
tea, water, etc - hot or cold, and has no taste, colour or
anything (it is also great for lowering LDL cholesterol). I buy it
here in Australia at Woolworths/Safeway under brand-
name "Benefibre" - it is great! Really easy to take and
natural into the bargain

4 Water-decaffeinated instant coffee - caffeine is a well-known
diuretic, stimulating water loss from the body (particularly the
bowel). Instant water-decaf has no cafestol either which is a
benefit for other health reasons. Watch out for tea - don't
drink it too strong as it also contains caffeine - and cola drinks -
drink lo-cal caffeine free