PDA

View Full Version : Hello! LC for many years, skin-care question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AliceT
Thu, Nov-02-06, 16:11
Hello all, am new here. I have been low-carbing for a number of years, for general health reasons (not that I object to having lost a few pounds), and am very happy with the general diet and results.

I joined because I saw in some of the archives some folks with deep knowledge about nutrition and thought this might be a good place to come for resources. My current question is about skin...

I just hit 45, and rather suddenly my face skin is going thin and crinkly, after years of excellent skin health and great skin quality. I do (and have done) all the right things (no sun, no smoking, regular moisturizing, etc) so clearly this is -- ahem -- age related.

Well, shucks.

Okay, any women out there at or over my age going through this with any advice on reversing tihs dry-skin state? I do think the low-carb diet interacts with skin (positively, I suspect), so this is relevant, though I wouldn't claim to a lot about how LC affects skin. Interested in opinions on that, too.

I'm not having much luck searching the site, so references to articles or authors is also welcome. I'm quite familiar with various nutritional suppliments, but not necessarily with YOUR successful regimine, so if have you one, please drop me a note, doses and all. Or even a hint or two. :)

And maybe it's just age, and there's nothing for it.

Well, worth an ask.

Thanks in advance, all! Happy trails!

Alice

brother
Thu, Nov-02-06, 16:47
Hello, glad to hear you are and have been doing all the right thigns, mositurizing, no sun, no smoke, etc. One question, do you exfoliate, when how often and what do you use if so? Maybe explain your regimen to me..... here is the thing, skin regenerates itself every 28 days, when we are young, the "dead" skin removes itself very quickly, allowing new skin to come through very quickly. As we age, this process needs a little help. More on that later. What exactly are you using to moisturize with. I have a few recommendations. See our skin is like our hair, it changes with outside and inside "changes". Give me a little more info and hopefully I can point you in the right direction. Do some research on red marine algea. It is harvested off the shores of Hawaii, it is biofermented and was developed by an astronaught who used to to help heal his severe burns from jet fuel.This is the moisturizer you want to use, check out Philip Pelusi and the skin care on there, but remember, if you need to be clearing those dead skin cells so as not to cause "congestion". A pumpkin and papaya mask is great for that. It has an enzime in it that actually eats dead skin cells and retexterizes your skin;)

AliceT
Fri, Nov-03-06, 00:26
I've done some research that says be vewwwy careful with exfoliation, but I do daily wash with (no soap) warm water and washcloth for just the reasons you suggest. I had not thought of pumpkin, but I happen to have some handy. I assume you cook them first? :) How long? Do tell...!

I have for about 15 years used something called rejuvinex which has all kinds of good stuff, including antioxidents. Recently started trying something with DHEA. I also take Omega 3s and a number of other suppliments, as I have heard that the skin does not absorb so well from the outside as it does from the inside.

More advice?

jkmfrog
Fri, Nov-03-06, 12:42
as women age and thier hormones start to drop, most notice that skin becomes dryer. My started to shift around age 35. My reccomendation; stay away from harsh cleansers and exfoliators. Invest in a good skin care system: a creamy cleanser, mild exfoliator (unless you ahve very sensitive skin - then maybe just using a washcloth will exfoliate enough), a toner/freshner without any alcohol or a cleanser that combines these things, and then use a more intense mosturizer - you are looking for one that is oil free and that hydrates the skin. If its really really dry you might consider one with oils in it, but I would try one without first. There are a lot of good, tested, higher end products out there that will work. I have my fav brand, I'm sure others do too and I don't want this to sound like an advertizement for anything in particualr. Bottom line - skin is going to be dryer - get a good mosturizer.

AliceT
Fri, Nov-03-06, 19:21
Thank you. More advice? Should I be posting this elsewhere? Seems like these forums don't get read very often. Advice?