PDA

View Full Version : lost my way

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goddess72
Tue, Oct-17-06, 12:08
Hello :help:
I'm new to this forum. Any forum for that matter!!LOL I "Did" the Atkins plan (induction and maintenence) 2 years ago. Lost 100 pounds! Yay. I had a Body lift surgery to remove the Excess skin and since the surgery 1 year ago, I have gained back 30 pounds. I'm terrifed of gaining more. I'm depressed and spiraling downward. I am trying to find my way back up. I thought this would be a good place to start.
I am an active mother of 3 children. All under 6 years of age. I spend my days making food for them and find I neglect my own needs. There is just not enough time in the day. I don't eat regular meals but have found myself snacking on proteins and I think I have abused atkins and messed with my metabolism. The weight has stedily creeped up over the last year. I am going to the doctor(tomorrow) to have my thyroid checked.
Any Ideas?
Support?
Goddess72

Mousesmom
Tue, Oct-17-06, 12:33
Welcome goddess! Glad you found us here.....

There's lots of support and good ideas here.

All the best, Julie

Sly
Tue, Oct-17-06, 12:49
Don't be too hard on yourself for gaining back some of the weight. Your little ones deserve your attention before your waistline. :)

When you are preparing food for your children, do you nibble while cooking? Sometimes snacking throughout the day can lead to eating more food than you realize. I have found that keeping a food diary for a few days helps me be more aware of what exactly I put in my mouth. Sometimes I will begin writing not thinking I've eaten very much during the day, and then remember the peanut butter I had before leaving home, and the snack I bought at work and so on. Those extra bites here and there add up, just like pennies in a jar.

One website that I have found helpful is www.mypyramid.gov. It allows you to keep track of your food intake and will tell you appoximately what your calorie and nutrient needs and consumption are. (I just ignore the Recommended Grain Intake part of the program). I find it a bit easier to work with than the P.L.A.N. on this website.

Best of luck to you! :D

goddess72
Thu, Oct-19-06, 10:10
Hello and thanks for the reply

I went to the doctor yesterday and He said get back on the Atkins(seroiusly) and start taking St. Johns Wort. Is any one familiar with this herbal remedy for depression. I hate taking herbs when I know nothing about them!
Thanks
Goddess72

HerbNurse
Thu, Oct-19-06, 12:18
Goddess

I have pulled up a few websites for you on St. John's Wort.
http://www.nutrasanus.com/st-johns-wort.html
http://www.raysahelian.com/stjohn.html

I myself have used it.....especially when my husband was deployed in 1998 for 9 months. Not only was he deployed to a hostile area in Bosnia but while he was gone I was battling a health scare ALONE!! He is deployed now in Iraq but I don't feel a need for it this time around. Guess it's because I am older now and know how to handle things better.

I took it as directed and it made my life easier to cope with.

Hope this info helps you.

HN

seesah
Thu, Oct-19-06, 14:15
Welcome Goddess!

You will definitely find all kinds
of tips, useful info & tons of
support.

Best wishes on your LC journey! :)

msdbobby
Thu, Oct-19-06, 14:22
Wow Goddess, sounds like an amazing journey so far. This is the perfect place to come to for support. I think that you'll do fine by starting Atkins again.
Welcome :wave:

goddess72
Fri, Oct-20-06, 11:02
Thank you all for your support. I got the dreaded (yet somewhat relieving) phone call from the Doctor yesterday. He said he has never seen a thyroid production as LOW as mine. He said that I basically have no hormone production at all. He has started me on 75mg a day of "Synthroid".
It's funny,I didn't think I had strayed too far from the Atkins principals. I lost 100 pounds 2 years ago and kept it steady for 1 year. I hadn't changed my eating habbits THAT much. Maybe a little more snacking than usual. It is nice to know that it isn't ALL my fault!! LOL I will ALWAYS follow a low carb lifestyle because I KNOW it works...

paleogal
Sun, Oct-22-06, 23:07
Goddess~
You are so smart to catch your weight gain early!
Omega 3 fish oils and vitamin b are really effective in treating depression, too. The fish oils healed depression better than pharmaceutical anti depressants in most cases. Good stuff!
Best wishes! This really is SO easy, all you have to do is KEEP DOING IT! DON'T STOP DOING IT!
There you go, the surefire key to success! (It also helps to reread the book once in a while, and if it isn't working, crank the carbs back to zero for a few days!)
See ya!
Paleogal

jkmfrog
Sun, Oct-22-06, 23:30
Glad they found out what was going on but still wanted to share my thoughts on depression remedies:

there are a lot of folks on this forum dealing with depression. I'm glad herbal remedies including SJW have worked for some, but SJW did not work for me or several other folks I know. St John's Wort strength varies at lot and studies have shown its not terribly effective. If you don't want to use any pharm intervention you might consider trying to stick with the low carb (it helps with energy and mood), add omega-3 fatty acids, and get regular exercise even if its just walking daily. Consider finding a counselor to talk with who agrees with your other lifestyle choices, and look into other hormone levels - estrogen, progesterone, etc can all affect mood and there are natural interventions that can help with some hormones.

Newbirth
Sun, Oct-22-06, 23:33
I second paleo. Take the St. John's Wort with Vitamin B and Omega 3 fish oil.

I tried St. John's Wort and Vitamin B, but my depression is quite severe and I do really well on prescription meds. Within two weeks of starting meds I started feeling better, like the sun was coming out from behind the dark clouds that plagued me.