PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Town!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cw71
Mon, Oct-16-06, 14:33
Hello. I've been lurking around these forums for the week since I started changing my life and I have picked up a lot of great information and been inspired by all of you, Thanks!

My story: I was never a fat kid. I was always super active at sports and mountain biking and really tall (6'4"), so it always seemed like I could eat whatever I wanted and not worry about it. Even into my early twenties I never thought about this stuff at all. Then I had a very life altering event. A serious knee injury ruined it all, and was followed by a $40,000 knee surgery and a year+ of rehab. I was 21 years old, 230lbs at that point, and told by my orthopedist that I shouldn't ice skate anymore, it would be rough on my rebuilt knee. (He was the team physician for an NHL franchise, and he said that my injury would have ended the career of an NHL player!) Of course, he was not telling me to give up physical activity entirely, but my addled brain interpreted it that way.

I went into self-pity mode. Since the things I had always done were leg oriented (like hockey and mountain biking) I just ended up doing nothing at all. My activity went to nothing, and the amount of junk food I was eating started to creep upward. It did not change drastically, but along with my new inactivity and the fact that my metabolism slowed down as my twenties went along, my weight climbed.

I was never that worried about it really. I never dieted or tried to change my WOE. I was tall and big-framed, so I guess I carried the extra weight fairly well up to a certain point. People were never able to guess my weight, and still are not. Even today at the massive size I am, if people try to guess my weight they usually say something like 275, 280.

So now its a decade+ later. I am 32 years old. I got married along the way to a wonderful 125lb. woman and proceeded to bring her into my lifestyle and now she is up to 210lbs.

I went to the doctor the other day and was told I have high blood pressure and the doc said he might want to put me on medication for that. I am going for a full cardiac workup and stress test this week to make sure everything is OK. I weighed in at 382 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been (or will be). I have migraines, unexplained chest pains, sleep apnea that requires me to wear a mask to sleep, and in general I just feel like crap.

I went to the bookstore and picked up the Paleodiet book, Protien Power, and Atkins. My wife and I both were intrigued by the Paleo thing most, and we are doing it together. We bought a stationary bike so we could get some exercise during these Michigan winters. We know it will be a slow process, but the rewards will be wonderful. We want to have kids in a year or two and we want to be healthy for them and each other. I have roughly 150 to lose and she has about 70 to lose.

It's only been 8 days since we got started, and it has been tough. Not so much physically, but mentally. You never realize just how powerful an influence junk food and fast food are until you consciously give them up. I don't really have any physical cravings, but the mental cravings are there for all those things I gave up. I used to sometimes eat 3 or even 4 McDonalds double cheeseburgers at one sitting, and wash them down with a large coke. In retrospect, it probably is not even that good tasting when you really think about it, but man, even as I sit here and type this I think of how easy (and cheap) it would be to go through that drive through and do it again.

But, I am not going to do that. I am strong. I have a decade+ of abuse to correct, and I know that even after I do that this healthier WOL is going to have to be a permanent change. I have lost 9 lbs. so far, a small step on a long journey. Thanks to all the posters here for helping me get going!

flamingo55
Mon, Oct-16-06, 14:43
:wave: Welcome

Hey it's great that your wife is taking this journey too, it makes it so much easier when you can keep that Paleo Household! I've been doing LC about 3 months now ... and it gets easier the longer I am doing this. All those foods I used to crave, don't exist anymore ... at least for me. Amazing, LOL Lots of good people here ready to become your friends. Your first post would make a great first journal entry, btw!

Drop by and visit my journal

Mousesmom
Mon, Oct-16-06, 14:49
Welcome cw! Glad you found us here.

LC is SO MUCH EASIER with support at home. You and your DW are sure to be successful because you are motivated.

All the best, Julie

nikeb00
Tue, Oct-17-06, 22:33
Welcome and good luck!!

Newbirth
Tue, Oct-17-06, 23:07
Welcome! :)

tman6297
Wed, Oct-18-06, 09:18
:wave: Welcome. It sounds like you are at the point to make some real changes. I remember when I made the decision to give up the carbs I was depressed...I mean really depressed...for about three days. It felt as if I was giving up a long-time, faithful friend. But with friends like carb's...who needs enemies. Hang in there and REFUSE to give up. Things will get a whole lot easier as the time goes by. When your body, and your head clears of the carbs you will see things in a whole new way. :thup:

purduegrad
Wed, Oct-18-06, 12:47
Welcome. :) I am also new at this. I understand the craving for fast food. My husband, kids, and I would eat fast food at least 4 to 5 times a week. It has been very hard to give up because it is so much easier to pull into a drive-thru after work than go home and make a nutritious meal. However, a couple of months ago I realized I was not only ruining my health, but my children's as well.
I had a hip replacement a year ago at age 35 and have slowly been trying to get back into shape. I know it is difficult to exercise after an injury, but it is doable. Just take it one day at a time.
Welcome to the board. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Ann

Newbirth
Wed, Oct-18-06, 18:08
I was never that worried about it really. I never dieted or tried to change my WOE. I was tall and big-framed, so I guess I carried the extra weight fairly well up to a certain point. People were never able to guess my weight, and still are not. Even today at the massive size I am, if people try to guess my weight they usually say something like 275, 280.Same here. This is my first time dieting, and people always guess(ed) me lower than I was because I gained fat all over, so it was spread out and somewhat hidden.