PDA

View Full Version : No Loss in Third Week -- NORMAL?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

TerrieP
Wed, Jan-23-02, 09:46
Okay, I am not obsessing, just getting a little down.

I am staying w/20 carbs (the most has been 25) or less.

Drinking tons and tons of water.

Taking my supplements.

Even going to the gym at least 5 times per week. (Doing 15-20 minutes of cardio and alternating upper and lower body work out with weights.)

It happens to be that TOM (which, by the way was more mild than I can remember, very little breakouts, no cramps, heavy for three days and literally all but stopped on the 4th, no breast tenderness.)

My problem is that I have gained and lost the same 1.5 pounds now for 10 days. What gives? I can be patient, I just want to know if this is normal the third week. I have been in ketosis and not out of it since the third or fourth day of this woe. Is it just muscle gain already? I am usually a slow loser.

On the upside, I can fit in to my pants again. I still have not taken any measurements because I don't have a fabric tape measure. I will be getting that tonight. But, you know the clothes never lie.

Do we lose weight the opposite of how we gain it? What I am saying is do you lose it from the fingers and toes in? It seems that way to me, the first sign was that me rings were a little looser?

Another plus is -- skin is clearer than it has been in as long as I can remember. No hunger. Sleeping better, especially after the first two weeks.

Well starting week 4 and feel better than ever, I just wish the scale would budge just a wee bit.

Will this support forum, it is hard not to stay positive.

agonycat
Wed, Jan-23-02, 09:56
Terrie, take heart. You are doing great ;)

Since you are working out, you are probably building muscle while losing fat. Since muscle is the heavier of the two, is probably why you are not seeing the weight loss on the scale. Which is why we recommend you take measurements ;)

Fabric tape measures are not the best because with use and age they tend to stretch out. Get a plastic one instead. :)

Just hang in there, the weight will come off. I promise!

TerrieP
Wed, Jan-23-02, 10:31
Plastic, who would have ever thought. I will surely get the plastic tape measure today.

Thanks for your response!!! :D

lauraW
Wed, Jan-23-02, 16:40
Hi Terrie,

I too work out 5 days a week. I have been doing 30-45 mins cardio and lifting. I have now dropped the cardio some and am concentrating more on the lifting. I only lost about 7 pounds during induction, and I do think its because of working out. I have some muscle, but have gained alot since starting.

Hang in there...and do the measurements...I did lose a whole pant size in 2 weeks..so that was uplifting!

Good luck..

Laura

TerrieP
Wed, Jan-23-02, 19:29
That is encouraging. A whole pant size . . . COOL!

TMoss
Fri, Jan-25-02, 14:15
I've been in induction for close to 3 weeks. So far only 3 lbs lighter. Ketostix indicate moderate lypolysis most of the day.

I'm only drinking about 40 oz of water a day and haven't kicked the coffee habit. (2 cups in morning) but everything else is by the book.

I'm patient, but my wife is beginning to make jokes about the whole exercise.

I didn't measure but my clothes have gotten looser. I'd say I'm making progress but nothing dramatic.

Tom

TerrieP
Fri, Jan-25-02, 14:51
Check these things:

Your total calorie intake needs to be 10 to 12 cals per current weight. I know it goes against the grain of everything we have been programmed to believe, but its true.

Up your water intake dramtically.

Your clothes are getting looser so that's a sign that it is working along with being in ketosis. You are burning fat.

3 lbs is 10% of what you want to lose, that's great!

:thup:

lauraW
Fri, Jan-25-02, 15:06
Hi Tom,

I agree with what Terrie says...when I told my boyfriend that I was eating about 2000 calories a day, he could not believe it because he can see the loss that I have had..its really something.

I have had to increase my water also..that is one thing that I really have to FORCE myself to do..yuck..but I know I have too. I think that is one of the reasons for my stall..

Laura

GerBear
Mon, Jan-28-02, 00:45
Your total calorie intake needs to be 10 to 12 cals per current weight. I know it goes against the grain of everything we have been programmed to believe, but its true.

That is the quote - so what is the body weight they are talking about
10 cal/kilogram of body weight or is is
10 cal/pound - it makes a !!~#$% of a difference

can anyone tell me?

In addition I am doing water excerises (bum knee) threet times a week for an hour and two times a week on the tread mill - So the weight is not moving - how can I get started again

someone on another list (heavens -- can there be such a thing - horrors!!) - suggested less protein and increase the fat - like nuts (not peanuts) and olive oil on salads and eating avocadoes

any suggestions?

GerBear

upncomer
Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:10
Hi Gerbear,

I'm still a newbie also (almost a month), so I'll try to help with what I can...

The calories you need to consume equal 10-12 times your body weight (if you weigh 200#, your caloric intake should be between 2000 and 2200 per day).

Water intake should be at least 8-8oz glasses PLUS 1-8oz glass for ever 25 lbs you want to take off.

I read somewhere (somebody, help me if I'm wrong) that we shouldn't eat more than 60% fat to 40% protien (thereabouts) - that's kinda how I have been doing it. I use FitDay.com every day to keep my carbs/protien/fat on track.

Water training is great low/no impact exercise! You still get a great workout in the water - I have to do water training because I 've had back surgery. Believe me, you still get sore muscles while in the water! :D

Hope I have helped you a bit!

TMoss
Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:58
I bit the bullet and kicked the coffee habit cold turkey. First day I had a dull headache but after that fine. I've substrituted green tea for my morning kickstart (I know it still has a little caffiene but not nearly as much)

I've also hit the treadmill for 45min (400 cals) first think in the morning. That seems to get the fat burning kickstarted and makes consuming the water easier.

Still searching for a good snack food. I've been eating pillars pepperoni sticks (a couple a day). The ingrediants don't include sugar and the label claims 0 carbs.

Down another 3 lbs this week. So I'm happy. :thup:

Tom

murpel
Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:24
You are all so awesome!
I've been living this WOL for 11mos now, I know nothing about calories etc. I eat between 20 & 30 grams of carbs a day, and up untill now, I've been doing great. I averaged 2-4 lbs a week. My best loss was when I was pushing the water. I like a lot of people need to force the water. I find it easier to drink the water during Summer. I have never cut my coffee intake, however, I don't do Soda. Water, tea or coffee.
With this site, and all the help, how could anyone not succeed????
Thanks All!
Murpel

ruby
Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:54
Hi Murpel,
I can't believe you average 2-4lb loss per week. That's fantastic? You have a great metabolism. You're truly blessed.

Keep going.
:)
Ruby :roll: