PDA

View Full Version : Inches v. Pounds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ebony623
Wed, Jan-23-02, 09:40
What is happening?

My size is changing slowly but surely. My energy is great and I am not irritable, (unless you bother my kids). So what is happening with my body when the scales are going up and down but the body is changing it size and shape. :confused:

I look real nice in my clothes, which is a plus.

I know LCing has many pros to it. Just was looking for an explanation on my situation. Regardless, I am not about the abandon this WOL. This is it for me, if for nothing more than I like the way I feel.

The doctor said my cholestrol is up. Sure could use some suggestions on how to get that under control.

Happy LCing everyone. We can do this. :wave:

razzle
Wed, Jan-23-02, 16:25
you could be gaining muscle while losing fat--though most people would experience a halt to scale loss and not a gain.

Size loss is a much more accurate measure of fat loss than is the scale, so you're doing great.

Did your doctor give you the HDL/LDL breakdown? If your HDL is going up, this is a GOOD thing. (If your doctor doesn't know that, get a new doc! ;) )

Pearl
Wed, Feb-13-02, 01:40
I found that within one month I had only lost 7 pounds but I went from a size 18 to a size 16. I do not usually follow the scales just because I now ware weights on my ankles when I work so that is building muscle and you know what they say. Muscle weighs more then fat.

Pearl :wave:

SlinkyMe
Sun, Oct-13-02, 08:12
Within three months I went down 3 dress sizes - UK 26/28 down to UK20/22, but the scales show a 3lbs loss at the mo!

I would be fascinated to know how much muscle weighs in comparison to fat - at least that way I could really tell how I am doing?! :daze:

Talon
Sun, Oct-13-02, 08:21
Take a look at this thread - the picture definately is worth a thousand words!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37260

Zuleikaa
Sun, Oct-13-02, 09:56
Muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less room. And yes you can actually gain weight due to taking on more muscle weight wise than losing fat. Eventually as your muscles reach sustainable size you should see weight loss increase.

Over a 3 month period on Atkins one person only lost 5 lbs but went down 4 dress sizes!

The body is magic! It's us that has to work to understand it.

Have patience and keep faith.

PS There are some, but very few, people whose cholesterol rises on Atkins. I would ask your doctor for the breakdown percentages on your cholesterol. The total cholesterol might have gone up but the ratio to good to bad might have gone up too!

ebony623
Sun, Oct-13-02, 17:12
Thanks to all who have replied to my post. The insight of others' experiences helps a lot. Knowing that I am benefiting from the program is the encouragement that I need.

As for my cholestrol, I have now gotten it under control. I took and herb called Red Yeast Rice and in less than 3 mos, my doctor called and stated that my test was back and showed it to be "very normal".

So I am pleased about that as well as my inch loss. :D

Happy LCing
:wave: