PDA

View Full Version : Christian runner seeks truth PLEASE!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lesley Tur
Fri, Sep-29-06, 11:00
To honest humans seeking a dietary truth,
I am an honest Christian runner who is either just doubting the truth too much or off her rocker. Despite the constant pressure to just eat "normal" from family, friends, and coaches, in the last year I began to eat healthier - fruits, veggies, and protein and soon lost my 2 year enduring migraines and 20 lbs. When I lessed my fruit, and increased my protein and veggies, I also improved my 5k by 2.5 minutes! I felt the strongest and healthiest I have ever been. THEN after a stupid episode of overtraining I found myself starving, I resumed my diet and began to recover when I took on a job where I quickly became exahusted and felt very dehydrated- so I drank about 8 nalgenes a day. After the first week I was in the hospital with low sodium and blood sugar. "Nutritional experts" loaded me with 2500 cal of carbs & fat/day (&30g protein/day) to help regain my "strength" and I left 11 days later with a little bit more stable heart rate and 10 lbs of fat. At home I quickly returned to my healthy diet and soon began to have enough energy to sleep through the night again. A month later I am at school and am researching now more than ever to understand the TRUTH. More carbs make me feel bloated, fat (even "healthy omegas")= greasy, and only protein (300g+/day) and veggies/all bran keep me having solid stools without diahhrea. I am slowly getting better when I stick to this. WHen I try to vary my diet with more carbs/ fat I get a headache, very anxious, and hot! Yet it is tiring to cook so much protein, powders are grose, and sometimes I still get really hot, I am still always tired - I breathe heavy, and want energy again. I feel I just need to stay patient, avoid fatty meats or too much veggies at once to cure the fevers. But if i continue like this, 1. how will i ever be able to travel? 2. have unending energy and 3. will my heavy breathing ever end? I still don't have enough energy to exercise every day or even study for class sometimes. I have read the Makers Diet and done much research. Yet I can't understand how so many people disagree. My biggest medical question, why can only protein cure diahrreah? I have read that it bonds with the fiber to digest it and I can hear this beautiful digestion sould when I combine the two - ..or is all this in my head? Sometimes I would like to think so and believe more carbs will help yet every thing from my experience tells me that this doesn't help and is suicide.
One thing for sure, I am sick of other's pressure on me to stop eating so healthy when no one else has to deal with the consequences of my choices. I always felt it takes a certain faith even to eat healthy but have I gone too far? Why then doesn't it work when I try to return to more fruit?

If you believe there is a truth, or can relate please let me know. God Bless!
~A Christian runner
:help:

katwoman
Fri, Sep-29-06, 11:55
Hi Leslie,

sorry I can't answer your questions--and I had a little trouble following exactly what your "diet" consists of. Just protein and veggies? What kinds of veggies?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Maker's Diet. I follow Atkins because I'm a true carb addict and need the strict guidelines to keep that under control-but some of the others might be good for you to look into. I've read the SouthBeach plan and it seems healthy and balanced to me. I also read Suzanne Somers plan and liked a lot about it--but I NEED Atkins--it's all that works for me. I know you said you had done a lot of research, but perhaps reading more of the different plans might trigger some thoughts and help you find some answers.

mermaiden
Fri, Sep-29-06, 12:29
I like and do Atkins as well. Fruit is not necessary, you can get those nutrients and less sugar from veggies.
You may find this link helpful, it has info on low carb and intestinal health/digestion.

http://www.biblelife.org/bowel.htm

joesfolks
Fri, Sep-29-06, 13:49
Well, I certainly believe there is truth but I'm not sure I can help you. My first question is have you had a physical since you got sick? Diahhrea and dehydration can be a deadly combination. If you are drinking plenty of water you shouldn't be dehydrated.
I have not read the Makers Diet but I believe that the reason that the South Beach diet works is because it is so close to the way people would have eaten in the Garden of Eden, whole foods, little fat, whole grains etc.
Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order.

Lesley Tur
Fri, Sep-29-06, 17:04
Thank you all for replying! I hope to see another doctor soon but I have to tell you that they have not been very helpful in the past (if you read my history and theres more 2)
To mermaiden, I read a lot of the links from that website and it makes a lot of sense to me. I eat fiber and drink water and poof, diahhrea, fiber + nothing else = constipation
But fiber and protein usu. = strength and no cramping for me and solid stools, But I still have this problem of needing like 300 g of protein a day, which I am certain is a lot, sometimes I have more, and my kidneys hurt - or something that is behind me.
I sometimes think that they are having trouble because the fiber dehydrates me and thus no water for my kidneys to filter- I only recently thought about this, before hand I always thought that it was the protein's fault. Anyways, the biggest thing that scares me about the website and Atkins is all the fat! I always get a greasy nose and feel really hot when I eat a lot of fat (which I think might be only a little in comparison to the fat of these diets). I also get really greasy stools from lots of fat too - which I was reading from a girl on one of these forums comes from too much fat. I guess the only thing that hasn't seemed to make me feel sick is protein, except after I eat it I feel like sleeping. That is probably what annoys me the most. Its seems like while everyone is college is having a good time, I have no energy and just want to sleep! Grr. Thank you so much for all your help and God Bless!

Newbirth
Sun, Oct-01-06, 22:53
On 300g of protein my kidneys would hurt, too! For your weight that's over twice the maximum amount you should be eating. 300g is not safe! You shouldn't be eating more than 1g per pound of body weight, and even that is high. Cut WAY back on the protein and eat more fat.

You might also just be someone who does better with more carbs. My sister is like that and can't understand why I can't eat the way she does. Have you looked into eating "healthy" carbs like whole wheat bread, brown rice, fruit?

jkmfrog
Mon, Oct-02-06, 22:31
Thank you all for replying! I hope to see another doctor soon but I have to tell you that they have not been very helpful in the past (if you read my history and theres more 2)
To mermaiden, I read a lot of the links from that website and it makes a lot of sense to me. I eat fiber and drink water and poof, diahhrea, fiber + nothing else = constipation
But fiber and protein usu. = strength and no cramping for me and solid stools, But I still have this problem of needing like 300 g of protein a day, which I am certain is a lot, sometimes I have more, and my kidneys hurt - or something that is behind me.
I sometimes think that they are having trouble because the fiber dehydrates me and thus no water for my kidneys to filter- I only recently thought about this, before hand I always thought that it was the protein's fault. Anyways, the biggest thing that scares me about the website and Atkins is all the fat! I always get a greasy nose and feel really hot when I eat a lot of fat (which I think might be only a little in comparison to the fat of these diets). I also get really greasy stools from lots of fat too - which I was reading from a girl on one of these forums comes from too much fat. I guess the only thing that hasn't seemed to make me feel sick is protein, except after I eat it I feel like sleeping. That is probably what annoys me the most. Its seems like while everyone is college is having a good time, I have no energy and just want to sleep! Grr. Thank you so much for all your help and God Bless!

You mentioned over-training in another post and also it seems like you have a lot going on - college, recent hospitalization, etc. This could be contributing to the tiredness, as could other health problems like low thyroid, depression, stress, ohters that folks ahve mentioned. I agree on cutting back the protein - you can cut back on protein and still keep the carbs low. You don't need to add a lot of fat, just a tablespoon of good oils, or a little salad dressing, a bit of butter on your cooked veggies, a cut of meat with a bit more fat. The oily skin is likely related to hormones and your young age - not fat in your diet. When I eat low carb (getting 65-70% of cals from fats) my skin got better: less oily, but super soft, and no breakouts!

Ultimately you need to find something that works for you: your life and your body. Low carb might not be it - but it does sound like the low carb helps with some of your physical problems. If you just started back on low carb you might be getting those flu like symtoms from switching foods where you are tired all the time. Mine lasted two weeks and then I felt back to normal.

Lesley Tur
Thu, Oct-05-06, 18:37
wow, reading my other blog i realize i don't take time to spell check. but thats the nice thing about this not being a school assignment. Ok, so I have tried the whole fat thing and it doesn't seem to help me at all, I get really really hot and sweaty afterwards and really greasy all over! I sometimes hope its b/c I eat it with protein and maybe its the proteins fault, but when I try protein alone, I am fine again!
Grr. yes i have tried other carbs and same effect as the fat only instead of getting greasy i get migraines and very sweaty.
Thank you all again,
Lesley