PDA

View Full Version : Depression

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ClNNAMON
Tue, Jan-22-02, 09:17
Hi guys, I am new to low carbing. I have been taking antidepressants for 5 years now. I am currently taking celexa. I was just wondering if anyone else here is on antidepressants and how it affects their weight-loss. Thanks!

Pixie
Tue, Jan-22-02, 10:27
Hi Cinnamon, Im new here too and Im also on medication. Im on prozac and have been for about 12 months so I too would like to know the answer if anyone can help us.

Thanks

Emma

Karen
Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:08
Hi CINNAMON and pixie,

This is from atkinscenter.com, via Doreen, in a thread on stallers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=978&highlight=birth+control#post978) :

"(4) Medications: Virtually all medications will inhibit weight loss to some degree, with prescription medications being the most problematic. The most incompatible medications are: 1) Diuretics (water pills) 2) Psychotropic drugs, including prozac, zoloft, lithium, etc. 3) Hormones and steroids, including estrogen (premarin), birth control pills and prednisone. 4) Arthritic drugs, especially NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) 5) Cholesterol lowering drugs. 6) All anti-diabetic medications, including insulin with the exception of glucophage. 7) Tranquilizers 8) Seizure medications. Please DO NOT COME OFF MEDICATIONS BY YOURSELF without medical supervision."

Karen

Pixie
Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:48
Thanks for the info Karen :D

Emma

ladybugvv
Tue, Jan-22-02, 14:02
Hello! I have been LCing since December 31. Wanted to start the New year off right! Anyway, I also take Celexa & I get the Depo Shot. I have lost 10 pounds by doing the CALP and I think that's okay. We're probably all diferent. It may be a little slower than others not on meds, but have faith, it will happen!

Actually, I've been feeling so much better that I'm thinking of talking to the Doc about going off the Celexa. This WOL makes me feel better than I felt before! :)

DuPont
Fri, May-03-02, 14:11
Did your dr. inform you that one of the side effects of the Depo shot is depression?

Conceive. Believe. Achieve. SUCCEED!