PDA

View Full Version : Restarting lc again....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

elizbth12
Mon, Sep-25-06, 01:09
Hi,

I've been reading posts here and looking at pictures for several weeks, finding tremendous inspiration from everyone's pictures and stories.
I finally figured out how to post and I wanted to ask, How many times does it take to learn the lesson that sugar is not a friend? I low carb for weeks at a time, not losing much weight but seeing my pants get looser at the waist and my shirts get roomier at the bust but because the scale doesn't move much (maybe 2 or 3 lbs.) I get frustrated and try WW (again!!) for a day or two, get really hungrey and cave to sugar cravings of cookies and carbs and then realize that those foods - make me sick - and so, I low carb again for 3 weeks, give up and do the same thing all over again. I've been following this crazy pattern for years. Does this ring a bell with anyone? How do you break the cycle of giving in to sugar at least once a month which sends me on a bender. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Cooperdoo
Mon, Sep-25-06, 12:15
I haven't had this problem on LC, but did on other diets (and I think I've done them all!). I'd do great unil I lost 12 pounds, and then fall off!! How bizarre is that?! Then, I'd never be able to get back on!!

I've found that preoccupation helped me get through the first few weeks. I'm a VERY busy person (kind of addicted to go, go, go) and used that to my advantage. I'm married, so I couldn't even get rid of all of the "good" stuff!! But I would just stay busy, and I cheated twice in the first three weeks, but climbed right back on. That's the key.

If you simply can't go without the sweets on a particular day, just get right back on the horse the next day. Or try making some of the LC desserts.

I too cheated this past Saturday after five weeks of ZERO cheating. Then I felt sick, and it'll be a LONG time before I do that again. Back on it the next day!!!

Welcome, by the way!!

Chichigirl
Mon, Sep-25-06, 15:05
Hi- welcome. I have been doping LC for 2 weeks- I think that reading this forum has been helpful in giving me a new perspective: if you fall off the wagon, you simple get right back on again, and make it a long term plan to simply eat this way forever. Mythinking is slowly changing and I feel stronger, like I am less susceptible to bingeing. I wish you the best, and hope that you are able to get healthier and happier with LC!

pennink
Mon, Sep-25-06, 15:11
Hi, it is a change of thinking that's needed. You simply have to want to lose weight MORE than the momentary gratification of the food.

To me, the big prize of my health (and some nice clothes and energy... oh, and the horse I'm buying at goal) is NOT worth any food. No Way.

deboralu
Fri, Sep-29-06, 16:57
I've not participated in forums before so I hopen I'm posting this correctly. I actually started on Atkins the first time way back in 1974! It was a lot harder then as there weren't any products and the only sweetner was Sacharin (sic), yuk! Now I've been on Atkins for over four years! I lo st all the weight I wanted and felt so good. A few times (usually around the holidays) I cheated big time and oh, was I sick, but jumped back on and lost any extra. Many times I reached a point where I could stick to healthy LC whole foods, adding whole grains, beans, fruits, but have to stay away from the addictive powers of SUGAR! That's where the cravings come in. However, even though I have adhered fairly strictly to LC maintainance, I started gaining weight this summer and have actually gone up a size and a half. In the past 3 weeks I have been so faithful, under 25 carbs a day, and I barely test for a trace of Ketones. I think it's hormones (or lack of them due to menopause). I'm now taking bio-identicals but not losing! Any of you have any experience with this, and any ideas? Thanks for listening and sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. Glad to find access to a like-minded community. :wave: