PDA

View Full Version : Sausage

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Glenda
Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:20
Any of you BC ladies know of a sausage available without bread crumbs, soy products etc??? I have been unable to find any. Just wondering if I go to the butcher and see what he has???? Victoria ladies- do you know if the turkey specialty store makes turkey sausages without fillers??
Thanks.

Glenda

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-23-02, 03:21
Italian sausage is usually made without filler (I think there's a thread on Sausage in either the LowCarb Kitchen or the LowCarb Products Forums, including a recipe !)

Glenwood meats and Hertels both have reputations for excellent quality sausage, but traditional European sausage recipes (that's most sausages...) usually have crumbs or a bit of sugar in them. Just the way of it.

If you DO call the turkey place or find some carbless sausage, please do let us know AND maybe put it in the LowCarb Yellow Pages (up there on the right of your screen)?

Ta and good luck!

Glenda
Wed, Jan-23-02, 12:51
I just talked to Turkey specialties on West Saanich Road. Their sausage has about 1 cup of bread crumbs to 12 cups of meat. But the butcher will, and does make pure meat sausages for those who want. She said they have about 10 people he does that for. Because there are no preservatives in the sausage, theyw ould need to be frozen right away. But I think the price is a little out of line for me. 14.99/ kilogram, or about 7.50 a pound. Not sure if I can handle that!!!

Glenda

IslandGirl
Wed, Jan-23-02, 13:50
Did you get the price of their "regular" turkey sausage, to compare?

Quality does cost, unfortunately, but maybe we could get a Greater Victoria Area group purchase on the go and even get a discount? How do you feel about following this up for us all?

Deirdre
Thu, Jan-24-02, 00:47
I get breakfast sausages with no fillers at No Frills or Loblaws (Great Canadian Superstore, Valumart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs, etc.) They're called "Our Butcher's Choice breakfast pork sausages". There is dextrose in them (after salt) and they don't have any nutritional info on them but I think they would be pretty low carb. I think they also have turkey sausages that are low in carbs.

Glenda
Thu, Jan-24-02, 09:17
I'll check up on the cost of their regular sausage and see how it compares. I guess if there are others on the board who are interested, in Victoria, to let me know and I will talk to them and see if they would give us a discount. How much would any of you be willing to buy at one time, at 14.99/kilogram???

Glenda

Glenda
Thu, Jan-24-02, 09:18
Thanks Deirdre. I will check at Superstore. I would probably tend not to buy those sausages if they have dextrose in them. I would prefer sausages that are just meat only. That way I know for sure what I am getting!!

Glenda

IslandGirl
Thu, Feb-07-02, 12:39
How much would any of you be willing to buy at one time, at 14.99/kilogram???

I'm in for 2 kilograms, preferably wrapped in smaller batches but a total of 2 kilos... but I'd really prefer a discount or there's not much point for anyone in going through the effort of arranging a group buy. Did you get a chance to enquire about a discount for a group buy?

Also, did you get a chance to find out the price of the regular sausage vs. 'custom' sausage?

Glenda
Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:40
Sorry I haven't made it back to the turkey specialty shop. But I found some sausages at Costco yesterdaythat look like they may be great for low-carb. They are Smoked Turkey and Chicken Sausage by Fresh Creations.There are ten large sausages in the package, which is 1 kg., and it was 10.89 Canadian.
Ingredients:

Turkey, chicken, water, salt, spices and seasonings, sodium phosphate, sodium erthorbate, sdodium nitrite, smoke, and natural hog casings

Nutrionional Info: Per 100 gram serving

Calories 144
Protein 21.5 g
Fat 6.3 grams
Carbs .4 grams

Sound good???? I'm trying them tonight for supper.

ggd