PDA

View Full Version : back in the saddle for the umpteenth time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KvonM
Sun, Sep-10-06, 18:28
here i go again, just not on my own this time around :) .

i started low-carbing back in 1997... you know, back before the days when lowcarbing was mainstream and billions and billions (/carl_sagan_voice OFF) of low carb replacement foods were lining the shelves and 95% of the registered dieticians across the country were screaming "BLASPHEMOUS HERESY!!" at the very idea of low carb? back in those old-school days, we were the underground, we were the misunderstood, we were scoffed at. thing is, i learned so much about food and how my body works back then. lowcarbing made sense... it still does.

i had to go off the DANDR wagon when i had my kids... i'd just spent a year and a half losing 70lbs and keeping it off, i originally said i wasn't going to use pregnancy as an excuse to gain all that weight back. i was going to severly limit my weight gain, and anything that kid needed it could gain from me in the process. then halfway through we found out "it" was "they"... the doctors wanted to know how i slipped twins past them... i was in too much shock to come up with anything resembling a witty answer. so the weight issues went out the window and i gained everything plus more back (side note, i took the twins to 38 weeks, lizard1 was 6lbs 10oz, lizard2 was 6lbs 5oz, both happy and healthy). i tried getting back into the swing of things after about 3 months, and found out pretty quickly that breastmilk doesn't taste so good when it's full of ketones. i kept trying off and on to get back to low carbing but life and stress and divorce got in the way.

fast forward 5 years from their birth, and i'm finally in a position again where i can go back to the way of life (because i really do understand this is a way of life, not just a quick fix to lose a few pounds) that makes sense to me. i started back up about a month or so ago, and i feel better now than i have in years. the weight's coming off slowly, but that's not my biggest concern right now. yes i'm back to the same point i started at 10 years ago, but now i'm more concerned with doing what feels right for my body. i don't care that it's gone mainstream and everybody's jumped on the glycemic index wagon. i use what i learned back then about how to cook real food with real ingredients and completely strip away the foods that aren't allowed. i don't need bread or pasta or rice in my life... i learned that the first time. i still have the induction list burned into my brain and i live by that... and i'm happy with my way of life again. i think that's all that matters.

KvonM

Newbirth
Mon, Sep-11-06, 22:29
Welcome here. You have the right mindset...it's all about a lifestyle change.

mlk18sHuny
Tue, Sep-12-06, 11:46
Welcome back to the lifestyle! You've been through a lot, but you can and will do this! :)

Mousesmom
Tue, Sep-12-06, 16:25
Welcome back! You've got the right idea - it's a WOL, not a "diet" so you are sure to succeed.

You are quite right that we don't need all that carbage, neither do our kids!!!!

All the best, Julie