PDA

View Full Version : atkins as WOL

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kittyd
Thu, Sep-07-06, 02:16
Hi!
just came across this site recently and haev decided to give Atkins another go. I have always had an "issue" with carbs, especially sugar, i.e. prone to rapid weight gain, binges etc., which i've tried to control by practically starving myself in between - frustrating and unhealthy.
I've tried Atkins halfheartedly in the past and felt great on it, but never made it past week 1. But reading all the posts has really motivated me to want to do it properly this time and for life.
My main goal is not so much weight loss, but to gain control of my appetite and related mood, to start enjoying food without guilt, and to feel more energetic and healthier. (Also quitting smoking at the same time!).
I guess i have two queries for anyone more experienced out there:
1. Should i be concerned about the amount of salt i'm eating, like in cheese etc?
2. What about alcohol - should i cut it out completely?
Thanks, looking forward to what's to come!
k

bkloots
Thu, Sep-07-06, 04:50
Kitty, welcome to a good place. Atkins is an excellent strategy for weight management--both loss and maintenance. Be sure you read all you can about, and really absorb all the dimensions of the program. Your focus will change over time, so you need to keep updating your info and your thoughts.

As long as you don't use liberal amounts of added salt, eating fresh, whole foods (fresh meats and veggies, natural cheeses, etc.) should keep salt intake well within a healthy range. It's fast foods and packaged foods that add massive amounts of sodium to the typical American diet. So I'd say don't worry about it for now.

Alcohol is OUT during induction, and you'll do yourself a favor to avoid it completely while you're trying to drop weight. Later on, alcohol in moderation (in the form of some wines and spirits) is allowable according to the Atkins "carb ladder." The whole point of Atkins is to arrive at a new sustainable lifestyle. For some of us, life without wine would be unlivable.

It's all about choices. Make good ones, and you'll do fine.
Best wishes.

kittyd
Thu, Sep-07-06, 05:02
thanks Barbara, will have to start induction properly after the weekend - there could be wine involved!
k