PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MissBecca
Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:19
Hi everyone

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Perth, Western Australia. I started the Atkins diet a few days ago, after about 4 months of low-fat/high-carb dieting (well, that's the most recent diet - I've been on and off them for years!) and I only lost 5kg on it in all that time. I'm really impressed with the Atkins diet so far - early days yet - but it feels good to be trying something so different from what's failed in the past.

If anyone's interested (and I'm sure someone's already discovered this), I found some chocolate that has no sugar (sweetened by fructose) that actually tastes really good. It has nearly 50g carb per 100g, so you can only have a little bit at a time but, still, no sugar and it's better than Cadbury Lite which has a really bizarre texture! I found it at Coles in the health food section and it's made by Holex (a German company) and the two I've tried bites of are the dark choc with peppermint filling, and the plain dark choc. When I'm up to eating a little more carb, I'll try the hazelnut one.

Happy eating everyone!

MissBecca :wave:

K-Louise
Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:46
Hi Becca,

Welcome. Its always nice to have another Australian here.

I hate to rain on your chocolate parade :D but fructose IS sugar. Sugar comes in many forms, and this is definately not allowed (even in small amounts) on induction. I would say this many carbs would not be recommended at any time (even after induction) You will discover by reading the many very helpful threads here that these kinds of goodies can prevent weight loss in many people, and can trigger your cravings. Best you give up your old habits if you can (easier said than done at times).

Just out of curiosity run the label information through the Hidden Carbs counter on the Low Carb Tools link at the top of the page.
This tool is very useful for other products sweetened with Artificial Sweeteners. The Cadbury Choc for example actually has 30g carb (not 7g as the label says).

Have you read the Atkins book to determine what foods are allowed during induction?

Good luck, and welcome. You will find a lot of help here.

Cheers
Kim

MissBecca
Sun, Jan-20-02, 05:50
Yup, I've read the Atkins book. I bought the choc before starting the diet and had a little taste and then put it in the freezer. Definitely no fructose during induction (it's fruit sugar - I know) but if we can eat small amounts of fruit once off induction etc, I'm hoping I can have just a little choc each week. And that Cadbury Lite stuff is truly bizarre ... I think the isomalt might have carbs in it too.

Rosebud
Sun, Jan-20-02, 06:07
Hi MissBecca, welcome to the site.
I'm sorry to say I have to agree with Kim, fructose is never allowed, it is a sugar.
It's not just the amount of carbs in it, it's the fact that it's a sugar. It's likely to mess up your insulin and therefore slow down your weight loss big time.
Anyway, I hope your weight loss goes well, see you around the board. (Always good to have another Aussie.)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

MissBecca
Sun, Jan-20-02, 07:00
Aw poop re chocolate. But thanks for the welcome, gals.

I've seen a few posts re Darrell Lea sugarless choc ... maybe I'll investigate that after induction ...

MissBecca :daze:

K-Louise
Sun, Jan-20-02, 14:17
Whatever you buy that says "sugar free" or "carbohydrate modified" be sure to run it though the hidden carbs calculator.

Darrell Lea says <.2 g for 100g, but the true carb value is close to 30g. If artificial sweeteners dont stall you, then save it for every now and then, not daily/weekly.

You are right about the isomalt. There is currently no obligation to count their carbs. There is a good article about it in the Low Carb Tips at the top of this page.

The SF sweets (Ricci, and DoubleD and Darrell Lea, all say <.01g, but the hidden carb calc bring them up to almost 2g each sweet. I'd rather do my body good with some panfried mushrooms, or 1/2 cup brocolli instead of a lolly. (at least that's what i'm convincing myself :D )

Cheers
Kim

MissBecca
Tue, Jan-22-02, 07:27
Ah those carbs are a bugger!!!

I have a DoubleD SF lolly once in a while ... when I first heard about them I had about 10 in one day ... and spent most of it on the toilet. They're not wrong about the laxative effect!

Good tip about the mushrooms - I hadn't even thought about them. I've been doing the salad each day while on induction but when I get off it, I'll be panfrying mushrooms - I just love them cooked that way!

MissBecca :roll: