PDA

View Full Version : Today is my first day on Atkins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ImADreamer
Mon, Aug-21-06, 13:09
Hi

Today is my first day on Atkins. Over the weekend I read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and Atkins for Life and I am ready to start today.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that while I read this weekend, I finished off the mashed potatoes and made a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to go with them. It was my last meal of my high carb eating. :)

So today I start, I have the right foods in the kitchen and I really want to do this!

bkloots
Mon, Aug-21-06, 13:16
Welcome aboard! The Last Supper is not unheard of for beginning low-carbers. ;) Good for you for reading the book(s) and stocking the pantry ahead of time.

Whatever you really want to do, you can do. After a while, you'll discover that it really IS what you want to do, because low-carbing is satisfying, effective, and simple. It just takes time for the "diet" mentality to wear off and the "way of life" mentality to groove in. Once you get there, LC becomes second nature, and a lifetime of simplified maintenance begins.

Best wishes.

ImADreamer
Mon, Aug-21-06, 14:54
Thank you for the welcome aboard.

Atkins seems to work for you, congratulations on your weightloss!

I tried to get the two latest versions of the Atkins books, I see some people doing the 72 version of Atkins. I hope the books I am reading will work for me.

bkloots
Mon, Aug-21-06, 15:25
Any version of Atkins works fine. Don't need to quibble over details. The later versions are much more generous than the 1972.

The main difference between Atkins and some other Low-carb plans is the ketogenic (fat-burning) effect of induction. This is a good thing for appetite suppression. But I think it's important not to spend more than two to four weeks at induction level. The whole point of Atkins "four phases" is to retrain your eating habits in an enjoyable way. Follow the plan, and you'll see.