PDA

View Full Version : In ketosis but no weight loss or inch loss

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pip
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:08
I have been in ketosis from day 2 with the keto sticks ranging from mid pink to dark purple.
However after the initaial loss, nothing more is happening, no weight loss and no inch loss. I thought if ketones are being excreted then weight/inch loss would be a sure thing.
This is the second time i have been on the aitkins diet first time very successful, but this time very disheartening.
I would appreciate any help on this
Thanks

Brett
Thu, Jan-17-02, 07:52
I'm sort of in the same boat... while I haven't been perfect for the last couple of weeks (induction), I haven't really cheated either. After the first few pounds, nothing for the last week.

Some things for consideration:

- deep purple on ketostix likely means not enough water as opposed to a purely deeper state of ketosis
- give it time... after water loss, fat loss doesn't always occur quickly
- if you had previously been on low(er) protein diet, your body may be catching up on muscle building --> weight gains even with some fat loss
- eating too much --> enough fat/protein in diet means less body fat burned. I believe ketones are created even from dietary fat being burned.
- eating too little --> 'starvation mode'
- exercise will help, both in increasing calories burned and in boosting metabolism

I'm no expert, so take above as YMMV...

Brett.

SlimShAdY
Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:52
ok, u ppl are scaring me now...Plz dont tell me im doing this diet for NOTHING! :exclm:

agonycat
Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:36
*gets out her soapbox and stands on it*

Drink: 64 oz of water plus 8oz for every 25 pounds you want to lose.

Eat: 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories a day. This is low carb not a starvation diet.

Hints:

If you have dieted in the past, and jump on and off diets like changing your socks, your weight loss will be slower due to a change in your metobolism.

This is a way of life, not a quick loss scheme. :) The first two weeks of weight loss are normally due to water loss because of the diuretic nature of the diet itself.

Please be patient with your system as it learns to switch over to a fat burning system from a sugar burner. After all, it was very patient with you as you added the pounds to it.

*gets off soapbox*

Drinking and eating enough will prevent your system from "hoarding" fat and water. This actually enhances the weight loss process. Everyone loses weight at different rates so it is impossible to know why one stalls unless we know exactly what you are consuming day to day. If you haven't already please start a journal to help track progress and daily menus ;)
:)

Meeker
Fri, Jan-18-02, 12:56
Hey people, I got stuck really badly after losing 15lbs in 1.5 months. I pretty much went to maintainance (even though I have more to lose) and gained 5 lbs (water) where I have stayed ever since. So it's not for NOTHING. I have lost and maintained 10lbs.