PDA

View Full Version : New and in need of a bit of help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

~McKenzie~
Sat, Jul-29-06, 04:25
Hi all :-)

I've been 'browsing' this site for the past couple of days and I'm so inspired. I've read quite a few journals and your strength and determination is very motivating.

I'm intending to start a low-carb eating plan in order to curb an eating pattern which is really starting to ruin my life :-(

I've developed a cycle of binge eating and I don't really know how to stop or get it under control.

From what I've read on this forum, I'm not the only one who's been through this.

Is a low-carb plan likely to help me curb the cravings and get back on track?

joesfolks
Sat, Jul-29-06, 05:41
First let me say that we here are not doctors. That said, yes, lc has a marvelous way of not only helping you to control cravings but also of helping to diminish your appetite. I have been doing SBD for a week now and believe me I have had some small trials during that short time, but I have been able to maintain my phase one levels of eating because both of these assertions are true.

I want to welcome you here and hope you find all the support you could ever need. Best Wishes.

~McKenzie~
Sat, Jul-29-06, 16:44
Thank you :)

Today is day one - keep your fingers crossed for me!

L2P
Sat, Jul-29-06, 16:48
yes, low carb WILL help you curve binging...

-will tell you more if you want.

nice to meet you and welcome

Diana

~McKenzie~
Sun, Jul-30-06, 04:05
yes, low carb WILL help you curve binging...

-will tell you more if you want.

nice to meet you and welcome

Diana

Hi Diana :) thanks for your message.

I'd love to learn more about how low carb works and how it can help.

L2P
Mon, Jul-31-06, 15:12
Hi. Finally have some time to post.

OK here it is in a nutshell...

Lowcarb-ing makes your body switch to fat-burning mode. This is also known as ketosis. Usually, the body gets all its energy from the carbs we eat, which are very easy to convert into energy. If we "deprive" it of carbs, it will have to find another source, so it will look into the muscles and fat storage. By eating protein andworking out, you stop the body from eating away the muscle because you are signaling to it that it needs the muscle. So the only choice left is the fat. That is how fat burning starts.

Exercise and regular eating, as well as high water intake are crucial to keep the metabolism up so that you can burn more.

You have probably been through the experience of trying to not eat sweets. Then you gave in and said you will only have a little bit, ending up having WAY too much. The more carbs you eat, the more you want (be it fruit, sweets, pasta, pizza, chocolate). Well not eating any (or limiting this amount) will totally switch your mind off carbs. The blood sugar remain constant, without the fluctuations that lead to cravings. The hard part is to stay WITH the program.

It is very easy to come out of ketosis. As soo nas yoou eat too many carbs and the body thinks it's got enough to switch to carbs, you will come out of ketosis mode.

Other questions? :) Hope this helps.

medalian1
Mon, Jul-31-06, 15:20
yeah when i'm on low carb I don't binge at all ... sometimes I force myself to eat because I have a 3 hour rule where I eat SOMETHING every 3 hours, that's just me though. Anyway most of the time I don't even feel like eating, but I don't have a hard time making myself eat :)

At one particular low I ate a whole pizza myself and then felt like I was going to die ... my stomach was sticking out so far I couldn't push it out any further it was so full. Ugh it was discusting!

Welcome to the board and good luck! Lots of motivation here!