PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jellobello
Sat, Jul-29-06, 02:12
Just started Atkins on Monday 24th July. Can't say any weight has come off yet. Feel a bit 'vacant' all the time so have sent of for stix to check. I am a total carb junkie, normally. Have tried low cal diets but I have to be careful as I suffer from an hereditary liver problem. Liver has difficulty with turning fat to energy, so usually have to subsist on carbs. If I don't eat at least every 2 hours I start to get a hypo. I am 40 years old and have a 37 inch waist! Only five feet tall, with skinny arms and legs. All my weight is round my belly. So I guess my liver has been saving up the fat close to itself!
I am encouraged by everyones losses and am hoping that I get down 14 pounds. I am actually having difficulty finding clothes to fit me at the moment. Fingers crossed.

joesfolks
Sat, Jul-29-06, 05:46
Jellobello, just want to suggest that you check with your doctor since you have health issues involving fat. The Atkins diet involves eating a lot of fat and not a lot of carbs. Your doctor really is the best one to advise you. At any rate Welcome!

freckles
Sat, Jul-29-06, 11:42
I agree with joesfolks. Please do check with your doc if you haven't already. Have a fabulous day! freckles

Jellobello
Sun, Jul-30-06, 06:42
Thanks for the concern.

Doc says go for it. I have to try to get the fat off. It is the 'switching mechanism' that is poor. Liver doesn't readily convert body fat to glucose via the gluconeogenesis pathway. Rather it is lazy and just requests lots of carbs! But is very efficient at fat storing?!! It is best for me to reduce body fat whilst relatively young as problem can worsen when older. My father has same problem but also has hyperlipidaemia so can't eat any sat fats. I believe I have actually acheived a ketotic state as of yesterday I developed a metallic taste in mouth. This is the first time ever I have had this on any form of diet. I am being careful and I have been getting some symptoms of the inefficient energy release. ATP/ADP pathway. Weak muscles etc. I am coping but if I get too weak I have no choice but to 'cheat' by eating a piece of fruit or I would not be able to function. I know I shouldn't but I am living on less than 20 carbs per day so my body chemicals are having a hard time adjusting to this. I am hoping the pathway will become more efficient as it will have to learn to function by working rather than sitting back and getting a free lunch!
I'll keep you posted.

freckles
Sun, Jul-30-06, 23:04
If doc says go for it, great, Jello! As far as getting weak...that is a classic symptom when one first starts low carb. Please do try to keep from eating ANYTHING high carb - including fruit. It will only delay the enevitable. The weakness is because your body is getting used to going without all those extra carbs. If you overcome the temptation to indulge in high carb you will find yourself with a plethora of energy after a couple of days. Good luck and God bless, freckles

Jellobello
Mon, Jul-31-06, 02:28
Hi,
When I mean weakness. I mean unable to raise arms to pick up a bottle of water! Shaking and unable to stand. Not just feeling a bit weak. If I get like that I eat 1 small clementine. I have eaten 5 in the last week but I have had less than 20 carbs on those days anyway. I have not been able to find any carb or aspartame free vitamins yet. I can't take aspartame. I have weighed myself and measured today - 1 week since starting. I am exactly the same weight and size as when I started. Boo Hoo! I have gone from no exercise per day to 2.5 mile run plus 40 mins of resistance training and free weights. I do 1 mile and 20 mins exercise before breakfast and the rest later in the afternoon. I also have a four year old boy to keep up with!

Breakfast 2 egg omelette with 1/2 oz cheese

Then approx 150 grams protein and 50 grams of fat per day (saturated is about 10grams of that) This is derived from boiled chicken breast and boiled beef.

Carbs under 20 g

probably only 10 grams of fibre but it is insoluble fibre.

1/12 to 2 litres water

I am actually consuming a couple of hundred more calories than I previously did but before it was 75% carbs.

I don't feel starving hungry or have many sugar cravings. But I feel very weak and tired. Why haven't I lost any weight? I do build muscle quickly especially in the top half. In the past I have been more muscley than my hubby! So I am wondering if the fat is going to muscle. Maybe I should decrease the weights and concentrate on more aerobic. I do have a heart valve problem so it can be difficult to maintain extended aerobic without palpitations or arrhythmia setting in. Any advice? :wave:

bkloots
Mon, Jul-31-06, 06:59
Hi, Jello. If you're doing Atkins, you should be dishing up some veggies. Salad greens, some broccoli, zucchini or squash--see the discussion in the book. With that level of exercise, 20 carbs (even on induction) is minimum.

Best wishes.

Oh, and often as the body empties fat cells, it fills them in with water. That would account for not losing any weight. You may encounter what is often referred to as a "whoosh" any day now. At any rate, I hope you'll experience restored energy very soon as your body converts to lipolysis (fat-burning).

Jellobello
Mon, Jul-31-06, 11:07
Hi, Yes I am eating the veg too, I just didn't think to mention them. Do you think my exercise is enough? Should I be doing more? I am worried about losing muscle rather than fat. I have had this happen on diets before. I virtually starved all my muscle off but still had the same, stubborn pot belly! I looked like one of those poor famine victims.

bkloots
Mon, Jul-31-06, 11:39
Jello, if anything that sounds like TOO MUCH exercise. One hour per day EITHER running OR weight training would be more than sufficient. 30-45 minutes would be perfectly fine. And I wouldn't understimate chasing after a 4-year-old as a major form of exercise.

As for the potbelly, that may be with you always, just like my jiggly thighs will always be my particular genetic gift. You're wise to work on reducing belly fat, which is an indicator for heart disease. But chances are, you'll always be an apple, and I'll always be a pear.

Decades ago, I ran a marathon, and reached my lowest adult weight. I stll had flabby thighs. But I'm in much better condition now, with weight training keeping the muscles in good shape in both upper and lower body.

freckles
Mon, Jul-31-06, 21:13
Hi,
If I get like that I eat 1 small clementine. I have eaten 5 in the last week but I have had less than 20 carbs on those days anyway.

I would assume that this is why you're not losing. I had a small amount of bottled stir -fry sauce night before last and haven't had a loss in two days. I'm in first week of induction and had lost at least a lb. per day before that.

I think Atkins statement about "just one taste" could spell failure is true. When you get weak like that try a slice of real cheese. When I have my hypoglycemia spells I eat a slice of cheese (rather than the recommended high carb snack) and it helps immediately. Hope this helps.

freckles