PDA

View Full Version : Just had a most luscious fried egg sandwich!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jen B
Thu, Jul-27-06, 11:58
I just had the most luscious fried egg sandwich with mayonnaise, my favorite breakfast from my childhood days. The bread recipe is below. I put a piece of bread in the toaster, then carefully sliced it down the middle to make two slices to put the egg between. (It's somewhat fragile, so handle with care!) I have also recently had a roast beef sandwich with mayo and lettuce. I am very happy about the discovery of this recipe. Now, my LC life is complete!!

Basic Flax Meal Focaccia Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 c flax meal
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1-2 T sweetening power from artificial sweetener (I used 1 T. xylitol)
5 beaten eggs
1/2 C water
1/3 C oil

(I added onion powder, garlic powder, 2 reconstituted minced dried tomatoes, 1 lg. minced chipotle in adobo sauce, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.)

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 300 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicon mat. (I used buttered foil.)

1. Mix dry ingredients well.

2. Combine wet ingredients and add to dry, and mix well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3. Let batter sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4. Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5. Bake for about 25 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6. Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife - I usually just cut it with a spatula. (I ended up getting 10 pieces about 5-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches each, about 1/2 inch thick.)

At 12 servings, each piece of bread has less than one gram of carbohydrate - .8 to be exact - plus 5 grams of fiber. I adapted this recipe from: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wh.../a/flaxinfo.htm

Care should be taken to buy, store, grind, and use flaxseeds to best benefit. This site gives a good rundown of all the flax info anyone could possibly want. I love flax!!

justducky2
Tue, Aug-01-06, 07:29
Do you think this would work with a few egg yolks taken out? Thanks for the great recipe!

SadLady
Sun, Aug-20-06, 09:17
About how much garlic and onion powder did you add? Maybe 1/2 teaspoon each? Thanks.

mike_d
Sun, Aug-20-06, 11:50
Something is up with that link?

Thanx 4 the recipe-- I checked flax meal b4 I don't think its fattening?

missymagoo
Tue, Aug-22-06, 01:53
might have to try this one also. sue