PDA

View Full Version : New, question and recommendation

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RachelLea
Wed, Jul-19-06, 14:42
Hi all, I'm Rachel from the GTA. I just recently found this board and I've been lurking for a while, but I finally decided to join. I'm glad there's an active Canadian forum.

Does anyone know where could I find LC gravy in Richmond Hill? It shouldn't be difficult but I just can't seem to find it. I've also thought of just making it - does anyone have a good recipe for LC gravy?

I also wanted to recommend this product called Chris & Tal's Better Burgers (http://www.betterfoods.ca). It's barbecue season and I know for my best friend, she's good with minimizing carbs, but she goes crazy on the fat and screws herself up that way. These burgers are only 9 g of fat. compared to about 25 usually, and they taste great. My sons and I sampled them at Loblaws and they liked them too so I've been making them quite a bit.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and getting some helpful advice. 27 lbs to go!

RachelLea
Sun, Jul-23-06, 20:35
Okay, so maybe it's not THAT active... LOL.

BeauSoleil
Wed, Jul-26-06, 18:08
I found this one on recipezaar, haven't tried it myself yet, but get back to me if you make it!

Low Carb Sausage Gravy Recipe #119226
This is thickened with xanthan gum, which you can find in health food stores. Be careful with it, as a little bit goes a long way, and it takes just a bit longer to thicken than flour or cornstarch, so do give it time.
1 lb bulk pork sausage or turkey breakfast sausage
2 cups cream or low-carb milk (I use Hood Carb Countdown)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup coffee
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
6 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric
25 minutes 5 mins prep

1. Brown sausage until cooked through and drain any excess fat.
2. Pour milk over crumbled sausage and season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in coffee.
4. Sprinkle xanthan gum evenly over skillet, and stir over low heat until gravy thickens.
5. Note: xanthan gum takes a bit longer to thicken than flour (and uses quite a bit less), so be patient; if you start adding a lot of xanthan gum to get it to thicken, the gravy will turn pasty (but if it does, just thin it with milk).

Helpful Reviews/
THINONE**** I liked the addition of coffee to this recipe. Xanthan gum is a vegetable fiber and it actually thickens as it cools. Rather than continuing to cook; I usually add it to room temperature liquid and then add the liquid to my dish just enough to warm it or for the flavors to meld. Another trick I use with Xanthan gum is to put it in a salt shaker and shake it into my liquid as I am whisking. This prevents the fiber from clumping. You can measure then put in your shaker, or you can just estimate your "shake" measure. I am so used to using it now that I estimate and eyeball it. Thank you so much for posting low carb recipes, Evelync, I really look forward to trying all of them.

IslandGirl
Thu, Jul-27-06, 18:57
Welcome!

LOTS of recipes of all kinds in the Low Carb Kitchen (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2) subforum!

Come on down!

:wave:

HeavenlyHa
Thu, Aug-10-06, 17:26
RacheLea I LOVE Chris & Tal's Better Burgers. The beef/soy blend works so well imo - it tastes AWESOME and the fat/cholesterol/calories are all so low. I love barbecues and love feeling like I can indulge! My sister is on Weight Watchers and she told me about it, apparently it's a big hit with that community as well.

No more bland veggie burgers for me!

Edited: Why is the count only showing 1 post for me? It was showing 0 earlier even though I had posted a couple...

Rosebud
Thu, Aug-10-06, 17:39
Edited: Why is the count only showing 1 post for me? It was showing 0 earlier even though I had posted a couple...
Posts in the off-topic areas don't count towards your post count. :)

Rosebud:rose: