PDA

View Full Version : My intro

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sunsign999
Sat, Jul-15-06, 20:50
Good evening all:

My name is Connie and I am new to this list as of today. New to low carbing as of last week - I started eating this new way the same day I stopped smoking. Both have been greatly successful, though I am ravenous at all times right about now!

Got started on low carb eating when friends came for dinner and brought a low carb pumpkin chiffon pie for dessert. They mentioned the cook book they got the recipe from and I went out and bought it two days later. Whilst reading the cook book (Low Carb Gourmet) the author mentioned a book she read called Protein Power, so I went out and bought that book the next day. The rest, as they say, is history!

I had a some odd notions about low carbing given the little I had heard about the Atkins plan, which I am sure was inaccurate. I really did not want to eat 27 lbs of bacon for breakfast and completely stop with fruit and veggies. Turns out I don't have to! The science seems really sound to me, and the results are showing up on the scale even though I have been slightly less than perfect some days.

Most of my exercise has been walking, but my walking companion Maisy (2 year old golden lab) is currently injured and on no walking for 8 weeks (6 and 1/2 to go) due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her knee. So I am now doing step aerobics and tae bo tapes as well as some walks without the dog, though my guilt keeps me from doing this too much.

I am just coming up on my 49th birthday and my goal is to achieve better health in my 50th year. I wish to be "Fit, Fabulous and Fifty" and giving up cigarettes is the biggest step I have taken in that direction. The eating and exercise will all fall into place and I am doing pretty well in those departments but am being a little gentle with myself given the newness of my nonsmoking status. In the past I have had the attitude that if I mess up at all I might as well just throw in the towel and give up. That rigid thinking has gotten me nowhere but obese.

Anyhow, this is a long one, so I will call it quits. Sorry, but I am quite verbose (as if I needed to mention that!) Have a great day all.
connie

wasColette
Sat, Jul-15-06, 23:27
Welcome! That is pretty awesome that you stopped smoking too. You are giving yourself the best gifts possible.

dearmommy
Sun, Jul-16-06, 01:04
Welcome fellow lowcarber and beautiful British Columbian.