PDA

View Full Version : Constipation.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Turbodan
Fri, Dec-15-00, 12:59
I know this sounds like a bad topic. But face it Protein does not have enough fiber. I notice that constipation happens when I am on the Atkins diet. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. I friend told me about Senna tea.
It seems to work and has no carbs. I bought the tea from a vitamin store. Is this a constant problem with you?

doreen T
Fri, Dec-15-00, 14:27
Hi, and welcome!

Not a bad topic at all. Senna and cascara are two herbs commonly used for occasional constipation. They are laxative, that is, they work by stimulating the gut into action. You need to have some bulk in the gut first though, otherwise you just end up with gas and cramps, and you know the old saying, "Here I sit all broken hearted...." :D

The early Induction or Phase I of lowcarb regimens is uunfortunately low in fiber, which is what adds bulk to the gut. In fact, a lot of folks go the other way, and experience some diarrhea for the first week. The solution to both problems is to add some lowcarb, bulky fiber. For most people, a sugar-free psyllium product is easiest. I'm not an expert here, since I'm personally allergic, but I'm sure Metamucil and others come in sugar-free versions. You can also buy plain psyllium husks in a bag at most health food stores. Make sure you drink plenty of water with it. I use ground flax seeds myself, and add a couple Tbsp to a high-protein, lowcarb shake. Flax has the added benefit of being high in Omega3 fats, good for the heart and cholesterol.

good luck,
Doreen

judithbw
Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:50
Sure is a problem! I've been taking two (750 mg) of psyllium husks in capsule form twice a day as indicated on bottle. Nothing happens! Are any of you taking flaxseed? how much? any luck? Oatmeal works great -- but oh, those carbs!

Teuthis
Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:03
Vegetables have fiber. Once you are a little further into the diet, and if you eat vegetabgles your condition should abate. For a while I took daily doses of psillium husk and it helped somewhat. But after a few weeks, I became regular again. If you find yourself in a bind [haha] try some stool softener and drink plenty of water. Things will move along for you quite naturally that way.

Good Luck!

TriciaW
Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:20
I also use flax in my shakes or lc baked products and it works like a charm. I can sure tell when I don't take it for a day or two :( Keeps things rolling like clockwork!

MAC Artist
Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:36
I too get very constipated .. i have to be reallly careful that I take the psyllium husk powder in water twice a day. I also take salmon oil which has helped and of course water. But use Senna if your in the beginning stages of atkins or if your really desperate. Senna is a laxative and can cause a depedency so u don't want to use it often. Take the husks with lots of water and get excercise. Also try to stay away from cheese, deli meat, and too much packaged stuff. All tend to be constipating. EAT FLAX, and make sure u get enough FAT. Hope it helps

Piera

bigguyjonc
Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:40
I was having the same problem. In atkins it sais you can do the psyllium or 1 table spoon of wheat bran. I choice the wheat bran. I just sprinkle it of some salad before i add the dressing and I actually like the taste. It did the trick and everything came out ok sort of speak. :)

I feel pretty normal now and am still doing the table spoon of wheat bran a day.

Jon

mkm
Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:09
I take 1-2 teaspoons of flax seeds twice a day (with water). If I cheat - ouch!!!! Constipation is really a more serious problem that should not be neglected and I don not think that Aktins for example mentions it enough in his book. But you learn the hard way! (pun intended!)

2berners
Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:40
I've found a tablespoon of psyllium husks in a glass of warm water is fairly palatable and keeps things running smoothly, especially when taken before a meal. Be sure to drink another glass afterward. If you let the pysllium sit in the water for about three minutes, you'll see why.