PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Workman
Tue, Jan-15-02, 08:14
I just started LCing 2 days ago. I just noticed on the package of gum that I chew contains aspatame :mad: . I started chewing the gum to quit smoking {11 months ago :D } But now I'm adicted to the gum. Its sugerless and I only have 6 serving a day. One piece per serving also has 1g carbs. thats only 6 carbs from the gum. Would this be ok to still chew :( ? I would hope it would be healthier than smoking :) . If I don't chew the gum I really do get withdraw symtoms like I just quit smoking again. Any comments or suggestions.

agonycat
Tue, Jan-15-02, 08:26
Just remember this when it comes to cravings:

When you chew, you release saliva to aid in the digestion. Those enzymes are then swallowed. Triggering more digestive juices in the stomach. (Hence why your tummy sometimes growls when chewing gum. It is prep'ed for whatever it is you are "eating" however it isn't getting anything)

The sweetness of the gum can trigger insulin, even if it is a "false" sugar, it still will trigger it. Insulin in the blood, stalls any fat burning. Insulin=fat storage.

Your mileage will vary...me personally I don't chew gum :)

razzle
Tue, Jan-15-02, 10:50
I'm in total agreement with agonycat. Gum chewing keeps the sweets addiction in place, triggers insulin release, and messes up the digestive acids cycle.

for an oral replacement, you might try leaving a cinnamon oil-flavored tooth pick in your mouth for a few minutes...then wean yourself off those, too.

best of luck! I know it's hard making so many changes to our habits, but they are all healthy changes! :)

MaryB
Tue, Jan-15-02, 11:41
If the alternative is smoking and eating what's at work (usually donuts and candy) CHEW! and DRINK WATER. This has been effective for me when I find myself tempted by the evil people at work - lol! I have always enjoyed gum and was chewing the SF before I started this WOL because I like the taste. I chew a SF that has 2gm/stick, but I chew my gum for A LONG TIME! So two pieces will last me all day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I haven't noticed any increase in my hunger and it actually has kept me from gorging myself on desserts. Everyone is different, of course. You may notice the cravings increase, but I have not.

Make sure you count the carbs if you are concerned that this will cause you to go overboard. If this is what you need to make it through the day, you can find a way to fit it in.

Happy Chewing! :wave:
mb