PDA

View Full Version : Tanita - Body Fat % Scales like?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chrissy
Tue, Jan-15-02, 01:05
I am thinking of buying a scale that measures body fat. Do any of you have one and how precise are they. Also I know there is a brand called "Tanita", but there are so many models to choose from. What price I'm I looking at for just a regular one that will measure body fat only. I know they can be very expensive, but I would believe they would be worth it.

I figure with a regular scale it can be extremely frustrating when weighing one self, especially with the daily fluctuations of water retention and so forth, and since I am doing weight training, I'm sure I'm gaining muscle too. It would be nice to know exactly how much fat I actually do have. When I tell some folks my weight, they can't believe that I actually weight what I am. Perhaps I carry it well, or maybe I don't have much body fat for my size. hmmmm?

Oh yes, does anyone know of a supplier in Canada that has an order on line too or do I have to order from the States? Or maybe have any of you seen them at Walmart? Maybe there much cheaper there?
I live in a little town and there’s not much here for stores!!!!!

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-15-02, 07:32
Chrissy, I know that those BF % scales are also duped by water weight and fluctuations - you can see a difference of up to 7% when taking readings by just drinking a glass of water. Doing BFL has made me bf% obsessive (like just about everything else I do ;)) and the advice I have received from the pros has been this " take photos - they don't lie" the best reference is always an objective observer, either in the form of a picture or a second party. The good old 'pants-o-meter' is another trusted and true friend, and do not forget measurements. If you are going to tackle a weight lifting program like BFL staying off the scales will be the best move you could make. You will build muscle, muscle will burn fat and your body shape will transform - the scales will reflect this - but often not with the readout you're looking for. If you know this will get you down, interceed now and remove that from the equation.

HTH,
Nat

Deirdre
Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:13
I have a Tanita scale but I don't think they are very accurate for body fat %. I do like it for it's accuracy and consistency as far as weight is concerned. I got mine at Canadian Tire and I recently saw them at Zellers.

IslandGirl
Tue, Jan-15-02, 19:10
Body Fat and the Tanita (the most well-known and available brand in North America at least).

A quick search with the Tanita keyword revealed some informative looking posts (hey, if Doreen starts the thread, you KNOW it's a good one :D ) in General Low Carbing and the General Excercise threads ... as well as many many others.

Enjoy.

PS: Canadian Tire Online is VERY likely to have them if there's no CT in your town.

tamarian
Tue, Jan-15-02, 21:21
While the accuracy of these scales are debatable, maybe +/-5%, they are consistent if you use them in the same way, like in the morning after you wake up, etc. Tanita also make body fat calipers, but I'm not sure if they are more accurate since they depend on a few spots, and we all differ in our fat distribution, but they are also consistent.

I saw Tanita scales at Fitness Depot, but not aware of any online source in Canada.

Wa'il

Chrissy
Wed, Jan-16-02, 02:43
Thanks so much you guys for your replies, I think I will go ahead and buy one if and when I go into the big city of Edmonton......I really would like to know how much body fat I do have even if it’s a rough estimate. It really makes sense to me to step on this machine in the mornings, right after I use the kitty litter....I think it would really inspire me more if I seen an actual number in front of me as well besides the measuring tape and weight scale. I also think it would be a nice reward present to myself for all the hard work I’ve been doing lately too!

Thanks again for all your advice, you folks are wonderful!!!! :wave:

Natrushka
Wed, Jan-16-02, 08:14
Originally posted by Chrissy
I really would like to know how much body fat I do have even if it’s a rough estimate

Chrissy if all you want is an estimate there are cheaper and more accurate methods.

This is an online BF calculator (http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html) that is quite accurate. And this is another model (http://healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm) that the BFL people use quite extensively.

Nat

Chrissy
Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:11
Thanks Nat, I will check out those sites!

Chrissy
Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:39
Well I did the first test and it said
I have 38.77 body fat.

And the other one said......

You have 34.5% body fat.

You have 75 pounds of fat and 141 pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

And that is exactly how much I want to lose, I have set my goal to 160, but I would love to get down to 140 if I can after that goal. I am 216.5 right now and if you minus 75 pounds of fat (gross). I will be at 141 pounds. However the second site said I should weigh 183 pounds......hmmmm, nah! I like to be at least 160.

Thanks bud! I've booked marked it :thup:

Natrushka
Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:06
Originally posted by Chrissy
You have 75 pounds of fat and 141 pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

And that is exactly how much I want to lose, I have set my goal to 160, but I would love to get down to 140 if I can after that goal.

Chrissy, if you have 141 lbs of LBM and you want to get down to 140 lbs you'll be sacrificing the lean muslce you're working so hard to build - and lowering your metabolism at the same time.

Nat