PDA

View Full Version : Food values question?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chrgrlvr
Wed, Jun-28-06, 12:18
Hi,

I have entered bacon, cooked/microwaved. Under serving options if I choose 2 slices raw = 20.1 pro, fat 19.4, 263 cal.

if I choose 2 slices cooked= 5.8 pro, 5.6 fat, 76 cal.

It says cooked/microwaved in the description, so should I choose raw or cooked for serving??

thanks for any input...
Anita

tamarian
Wed, Jun-28-06, 13:21
After you select 2 slices, you need to click "Go" to update the values. Looks like one is for 2 slices, and the other is for 100 grams.

Wa'il

chrgrlvr
Wed, Jun-28-06, 16:52
Hi again,

I went back input the following:

qty. 1, then chose '1 slice raw'.
counts say: pro. 10, fat 9.7 cal 131

I then changed to:

qty. 1, then chose '1 slice cooked'
counts now say: pro 2.9, fat 2.8, cal 38

in both cases, the description says "pork bacon, cooked, microwaved.

I doublechecked, and the serving size is either 1 slice raw or 1 slice cooked. if it is showing counts for 100 grams, it doesn't appear under serving size.

thanks, Anita

tamarian
Wed, Jun-28-06, 17:02
Could you give me the links to those two items so I can double check?

Wa'il

chrgrlvr
Wed, Jun-28-06, 22:36
Heehee..to me links are for breakfast..I know, bad joke..

anyway, I went managed to export todays entry to my journal.
I think you can see it there??
It defaulted to '1 ounce' I think, so I checked both as 1 slice cooked vs. raw and got 2 different answers.

I can live with not knowing the 'why' of it, I'm jsut trying to be as accurate as I can be.

Thanks so much for checking this.
Anita

tamarian
Thu, Jun-29-06, 16:09
O.k., I double checked the item on the USDA website:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

And it shows the item "Pork, cured, bacon, cooked, microwaved", NDB#: 10861, with the 2 different weights:

1 slice raw, 26 grams
1 slice cooked, 7.5 grams

It does seem too much of a difference, even when considering the melted fat when cooked. But selecting each of these weights, will show identical details to the entries on MyPLAN.

Wa'il