PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Atkins! Fifth day on Induction. What's wrong with my Brain??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Joanna
Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:46
Hi all,

Well Christmas was a disaster in terms of low-carbing, and I decided that I needed to grab hold of myself once and for all and DO something.

So I bought the new Atkins book and started on induction last Thrusday. All is well; I had the usual miserable headache for the first two days, but generally felt OK.

The thing I notice most is that I am SO SPACED OUT! Is this normal? I actually feel pretty good -- kind of loopy. But I can't remember names; how to spell things etc.

Is this normal? Will it pass?

Feeling kind of giddy in Calgary,

Joanna :daze:

razzle
Mon, Jan-14-02, 16:04
yup it is normal and yup it will pass. :)

I didn't exactly feel loopy but noticed this a lot during my last re-induction when I was doing some CD-ROM french vocab drills...they showed me four pics of simple object, then blanked them all out, and then...immediately I forgot what was in ALL FOUR! lol at self.

My theory is that it's just the body adjusting to finding other sources of energy than the carbs. The glycogen levels drop--muscles and brain are not performing at peak efficiency. Then finally, the body realizes it is just not going to get its old standby of "easy energy" as carbs and finds a new stasis, various ways (including glucenogensis from protein) to make everything run once again at peak efficiency.

Additionally, ketosis can make some of us a little high for awhile. Make sure you're getting 10-12X your weight in calories, too, and plenty of water. HTH!

your sister in giddiness,

R

Joanna
Mon, Jan-14-02, 16:29
that makes sense. I actually rather like the feeling -- too bad I have to work! It makes editing rather difficult!

:)

Joanna