PDA

View Full Version : Can arteriosclerosis be reversed?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

allisonm
Sun, Jan-13-02, 20:38
I've been reading about the increase of arteriosclerosis in younger and younger people (an article from a non-low-carb-advocating source). I'll be 39 in a couple of weeks and probably have plenty of plaque in my arteries.

Will this low-carb woe help to change that? I think (from my simple understanding of these things) that my now lowered insulin levels will prevent more accumulation, but what about undoing previous damage?

Allison

eebee
Mon, Jan-14-02, 02:21
I do not know the answer to the question about whether Low Carb reverses the damage -someone else here will I am sure-but I do remember reading an article in 'Psychology Today' that showed it can be reversed by meditation. So if meditation why not a good healthy diet and positive thinking about it? The mind is so much more powerful than we generally believe.

allisonm
Mon, Jan-14-02, 19:47
Interesting point. Worrying about it probably doesn't help. Maybe it's time to bring back meditation and prayer into my hectic life.

Allison

doreen T
Mon, Jan-14-02, 23:01
There is some evidence that in fact reducing insulin levels through lowcarbing will reverse some of the damage that may have been done. Dr. Atkins mentions this in the 1999 edition of New Diet Revolution, but doesn't really explain why. In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades go into more detail in the Chapters on Cholesterol and Antioxidants.

There are other dietary things you can do as well. Eat less animal fats and high fat dairy, and eat more monounsaturated fats from olive oil, olives, raw nuts and seeds and avocados (watch the carb counts). Mono's will help to raise the level of HDL, the so-called "good" cholesterol. HDL's help to carry away the sticky plaque to the liver, where it can be processed and eliminated from the body.

You might consider adding antioxidants to your current supplement routine. Again, both Atkins and PP Lifeplan recommend various nutrients in their books. In particular, vitamins C and E, as well as selenium, co-enzyme Q10 and alpha lipoic acid. Check here (http://www.healthwell.com/healthnotes/Info/Antioxidants.cfm) for good information about antioxidants and health.

:)

Doreen

allisonm
Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:41
Thanks, Doreen!

I was beginning to think that I had license to eat all the butter and animal fat I want. I think I'll head back toward the olive oil.

And I'll add selenium and ALA to my daily routine (I'm already taking the others). That little pile of supplements I take gets bigger every week. I'll just think of it as another occasion to drink plenty of water!

It's great to be able to get information like this. I want to do what I can to prevent the heart disease that runs in my family but I don't need to see a cardiologist. (And if I did, I suspect he/she would point me toward the low-fat low-protein routine :rolleyes: ).

Allison

doreen T
Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:32
Don't nix the butter and saturated fat altogether though. I was thinking more of the fatty meats and cheese. One tablespoon (15ml) of real dairy butter has 11g fat in it .. but a Tbsp goes a long way for cooking and seasoning food. Whereas a single ounce (30g) of cheddar cheese has 9g fat ... and way, way easy to go overboard and eat 2 or 3 ounces in one go.

I posted this to another member recently ... that you do need to eat a small amount of cholesterol every day. Egg yolk, liver, dairy, red meat, shellfish, the skin from poultry ... Our livers make about 80% of the cholesterol that's required every day for the body to function. The other 20% must come from food .. otherwise, the liver will have to work overtime to produce the extra .. and it's usually of the LDL or "bad" type.

Moderation is key ;)

Doreen