PDA

View Full Version : How much cream is allowed on induction?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Cinderella
Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:48
It has come to my attention that cream is suppose to be limited to only a few grams while on induction. I can't find this in the book. Is it true??? :q:

Karen
Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:24
It has come to my attention that cream is suppose to be limited to only a few grams while on induction.

Where did you hear this? In the new edition, cheese is limited to 4 oz., but I don't recall anything about cream.

It does have carbs though. 6.6 grams per cup of heavy (33-36%)cream.

Karen

Cinderella
Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:36
I joined a support board elsewhere and it seems whenever I post something..it gets shot down (by only a couple of girls). I have spending the week trying to appologize for posts that I know are not wrong...I'm thinking from now on I will post the page I find it in the good Doctors book,....or maybe ask them where they get their info.

Thanks so much for replying...BTW...what other changes are in that new book..I MUST go buy it this weekend!!! :D

Lessara
Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:44
In the new book he limits cream to 3-4 Tablespoons... go figure :rolleyes:

MRS.OZ
Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:54
That wouldn't happen to be at ivillage would it? I joined that one, too, but I much prefer the more positive and supportive tone of this board myself. Have you started a journal yet? There is TONS of info here, too.

Cinderella
Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:01
Yep..you are right...lol. It has brought tears to my eyes. Both the CL's over there have quit posting too...I now understand why. I thought we were all in this together.
A few on the board think not I guess. I am so glad to have found this board. :roll:

MRS.OZ
Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:08
My sign is was my_ozzy over there. It's nice to see an 'old friend', lol! Well, let's leave clique to themselves and get on with it, eh? I won't give up if you don't, OK? Just get yourself a journal so we can check in on each other.

Cinderella
Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:10
Thank~you. I cherish your support. I guess I better start a journal.

Karen
Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:53
In the new book he limits cream to 3-4 Tablespoons... go figure

Thanks Lessara! Is there anything else like this that is very different from the last edition?

Karen

trisham
Fri, Jan-11-02, 16:11
Anyone know the reason for the limit on cream in Dr. Atkin's new book? The carbs don't seem to be much of an issue, and as long as we keep to a total of 20 or under a day during induction... :(

aspreier30
Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:46
i am kinda curious about the cream issue to. its amazing how many carbs things have in them, when on the package it says 0 carbs.......

Karen
Fri, Jan-11-02, 23:47
From the Doc himself. DANDR new paperback edition, page 129.

Special Category Foods
To add variety each day you can also eat 10-20 olives, half a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream as well as 2-3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice. But be aware that these foods accasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

I would like to add that the above mentioned dairy products should be one of the first things to be crossed off your list if you are experiencing stalls. Along with low-carb bars! ;)

Karen
Fri, Jan-11-02, 23:50
...and cream doesn't have hidden carbs, but you would think so from the stoopid labelling laws.

To quote Doreen:

"For the record ... in Canada .. labelling regulations require that when the amount of a nutrient (protein, fat and/or carbohydrate) is under 10 grams, it must be declared to the nearest 0.1g, or 1/10th. Once the amount of the nutrient is OVER 10g, then they only have to declare to the nearest whole gram, and they usually round UP, ie 11.5g would show as 12.

In the USA, labels are only required to declare to the nearest whole gram for all amounts. And it is permitted that if a "normal serving" of a food has less than 1g carb, then it may be listed as zero. Big problem with cream ... where a lowcarber may have several times the amount considered a "normal serving" which is only 1 Tbsp. Or the packets of sweetener or the bulk Splenda ... they call a 'normal serving" 1 tsp ... which has 0.5g carb. The label will show zero, but it sure ain't zero if you have 1/2 cup of the stuff (12 carbs!)"

Karen

Melsa
Sat, Jan-12-02, 02:31
Okay, here is a dumb question from a friend down under: How much is an ounce? Is it a tablespoon? 5grams? I keep seeing it but have no idea what the measurement equates to.

Thanks for your help

Melsa

Karen
Sat, Jan-12-02, 02:59
Does 30 milliliters help?

There is a link to a conversion calculator in Hot Links, Newbies Questions Forum.

Karen

K-Louise
Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:16
I have sent an email to Atkins support on this issue.

Under beverages it says 3-4 tablespoons.

Then.. on the next page, under the special category foods, it says 3 ounces. They replied that it was 3-4 tablespoons on induction. When I went back and questioned the 3 ounces stated on the next page, they said 3 tablespoons was 3 ounces. I don't think that is right. Isn't 3 ounces a little over 1/4 cup (a cup being 8 ounces)? I know US tablespoons are a little larger than UK/Aus measures, but 3 tablespoons couldn't be 3 ounces, could it?

I went back.. and they were a little stumped then. I got a reply that Dr. Atkins was going to be in the office today, and they would ask him to clarify for them .... GASP....

I also questioned that they say no cottage cheese on induction, and yet in the induction sample menu it has 1/2 cup cottage cheese listed as a breakfast.
'
I will let you all know if I get a good answer to this.

Kim

JoAnnAtkin
Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:20
:q: My book has a blue cover and reads:
"DR. ATKINS NEW DIET REVOLUTION". Inside of the cover it reads the copyright is 1992. Is this an older book?

What does the new one say on the front, and what is the copyright date?

I am wondering why after 30 yrs. Dr. Atkins is changing things? To sell more books, I suppose! :D

Thanks!
:wave: Jo Ann in TEXAS :wave:

Karen
Sat, Jan-12-02, 22:33
The new one has a white cover, the copy right is 2002 and is about 100 pages longer. It has information that the last edition should have had! ;)

Karen

doreen T
Sat, Jan-12-02, 23:15
Originally posted by K-Louise
I .....When I went back and questioned the 3 ounces stated on the next page, they said 3 tablespoons was 3 ounces. I don't think that is right. Isn't 3 ounces a little over 1/4 cup (a cup being 8 ounces)? I know US tablespoons are a little larger than UK/Aus measures, but 3 tablespoons couldn't be 3 ounces, could it?.Just to answer this question Kim ... a US Tablespoon measures ½ fl. oz or 15 ml. So 3 fl oz would be 6 Tbsp.

Wow, you've shaken the mighty Atkinscenter right to the good doctor himself. What a woman :cool:

Doreen