PDA

View Full Version : ATKINS & SBD

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CharliG
Thu, May-18-06, 10:40
Can anyone clarify what is the difference?

PS Diva
Thu, May-18-06, 10:44
With the Atkin's diet you reduce the number of carbs you are eating. With South Beach you concentrate on getting rid of the "bad" carbs from your diet and replacing them with "good" ones. Bad carbs would be sugar and refined products. Good carbs would be fruits and vegetables.

I personally believe South Beach is just a refined version of Atkins. A lot of people find it more doable...

Lorisa
Thu, May-18-06, 11:10
To add to PS Diva's response, south beach also encourages people to cut down on saturated fats (such as the type found in meats and cheeses) and try to stick to the unsaturated types of fats found in olive oil, avocados, etc. As a result, south beach would have you choose a low fat cheese, deli meat, or salad dressing whereas atkins would encourage the full fat variety since they often replace fats in these foods with sugars, thus raising the carb count. Personally, I have tried both and prefer Atkins since South Beach feels more like a "diet" and often left me feeling deprived of "yummy, decadent" foods.

MicheleK
Thu, May-18-06, 14:41
Personally, I wasn't able to stick with SBD...it felt VERY restricting. Like Lorisa said, that "diet" feeling was always there. I also had some problems with hunger on SBD, where I don't with Atkins.

I do know several people that have had amazing results with SBD tho, and I'd love to hear your story about it if you go with SBD as opposed to Atkins.

I guess the "diet" feeling was the most noticable difference for me personally.

mike_d
Thu, May-18-06, 20:35
SBD is a calorie restricted diet, and a low-fat diet as well as a low GL (Glycemic Load) diet. I can maintain on it, but I don't lose on it. Some people seem to though.

CharliG
Fri, May-19-06, 09:41
Thanks everyone..
two of my friends had a "talk" with me about Atkins..you know the record...
I feel I eat alot of greens, (spinach, lettuce) for my body to work correctly. I feel good. I eat alot of turkey, chicken, tuna and meat.
I just thought I would check.
But with my work schedule and being a mom of two. I have to eat when I can eat and what is available.

PS Diva
Fri, May-19-06, 11:05
It isn't fun when you have to defend how you've decided to eat! Wouldn't it be fun if we could respond with what we are really thinking? Like maybe saying, "Can we talk about your diet now? I noticed you ate 3 doughnuts for lunch..."

I have noticed that the people who most object to ANY low carb diet have done the least research. With the exception of a few diet doctors who are hawking their own plans!

Hang in there.

Judynyc
Fri, May-19-06, 13:20
Just for the record from a South Beach person.......

SB is similar and very different to atkins right from the start.

In our phase I, we don't count carbs and have a large list of veggies to choose from, including onions, tomatoes and nuts. We don't eat any fruit or starch for our first 2 weeks.

Our phase II, introduces fruits and grains/starch back into our food plan. When done slowly and properly, we find out which foods trigger our appetites and which stop our weight loss.

I enjoy full fat items, like whipped cream and greek yogurt. But I don't enjoy eating certain fats and love eating avocados and olives and olive oil.

SB is good if you don't have a diabetic or other metabiollic issue. If you need strong rules, then Atkins is for you.....SB is very liberal with veggie carbs nad this makes me very happy!!

We each need to find what works for our individual bodies. I have modified my SB plan to suit me!! As OWL of atkins allows you to do the same for you. :D