PDA

View Full Version : Taste Of Ketosis Cheesy Mouth?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

slimk
Tue, May-16-06, 09:25
It's almost as if my mouth tastes slightly cheesey, but not sweet at all!...even when I haven't been eating cheese.
Can ketosis taste like this? Also, my BO smells different...Anyone else?

Meg_S
Wed, May-17-06, 03:27
someone I know referred to it as tasting like poop.. I suppose cheese could be in there as well. For me it's sweet, I smell different as well.

dreamnfae
Wed, May-17-06, 07:23
I smell different, also, but I think my mouth tastes more like I've been sucking on a bag of nickles all day...that is until I get up 1st thing in the am....thats when it is more like someone took a dump in there...ewwww...toothpaste, mouthwash, and eclipse gum are my friends......

krisangel1
Fri, May-19-06, 05:33
I agree about the different taste. Ewe. And my body odor changed. I think that is due to the fact that ketones are released through the breath, urine and sweat. Correct me if I am wrong. But also, I have a new sense of smell. So glad to know I am not the only one suffering with this!

veedeekay
Fri, May-19-06, 12:30
I also have that metal taste in my mouth. Yucky!
Any ideas why?

MeBLady
Fri, May-19-06, 19:52
I also have that metal taste in my mouth. Yucky!
Any ideas why?

This is the best way that I describe "ketosis" breath....to me, it tastes "metallic".

It simply means you are in ketosis -- definitely on the right track :-)

veedeekay
Sat, May-20-06, 06:20
Does it ever go away?

dreamnfae
Sat, May-20-06, 19:14
Eventually, either you get used to it, or it goes away, I do know, however, that the closer to maintenance you get the less you seem to have it, thats the info I get from some of my family members that have been thru it to the end.

MeBLady
Sat, May-20-06, 20:50
Does it ever go away?

It will go away when you up your carbs to a level that is no longer in "deep" ketosis. In weight loss mode, its likely to stay with you for awhile.

For me, I notice that I don't have it when my carbs are up in the 45-50 range, and it will come back when I lower them back down to 20-25.

Drinking a lot of water helps.

Hismouse
Sun, May-21-06, 11:01
when ketones build up, some can get a funny taste, its fat burning which is good, Take in alot of deep breaths, it helps burn the ketones, and drink alot of water it helps break the ketones down. It should pass soon as your body does a melt down of fat. Sounds like your in a go state of fat break down are you feeling full of energy to, usually comes with high ketones.

lataisha
Mon, May-22-06, 07:37
OMYGAWD!!! I thought I was the only one eeeewwww someone get these nickels out of my mouth please... My body smells different too!!! WHAT IS GOING ON?????

veedeekay
Tue, May-23-06, 06:23
I didn't clue in right away and I thought it was the necklace I was wearing. :lol:

kevin142
Fri, May-26-06, 19:31
I'll take the taste of nickels over my big belly anyday! :)