PDA

View Full Version : coffee cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tinkntank
Tue, May-16-06, 06:50
Hi...just starting and can anyone give me a hint on how to cut down on the morning coffee? I use way too much cream and I mean over 50% of the cup. The headache was there really bad yesterday and today from cutting way down. Also what is the diet drink that is ok...Diet Rite? Thanks. :q:

Paleoanth
Tue, May-16-06, 06:56
I never did cut down on the coffee. Never bothered me. I did switch to half and half as it has less calories. I just make sure I measure how much I use and keep it reasonable.

cs_carver
Tue, May-16-06, 08:23
I didn't cut back, either. Decided life is too short to let that part bother me.

If you're up around 10+ cups per day, you might want to cut back in general, but step it off, one cup or so a day, and the headache won't be too bad.

The calories in that cream will get you if you're not careful. Are you adding more cream to cover the lack of coffee, or have you always taken it that way? IF the former, just drink your coffee. If Atkins + coffee doesn't take the weight off fast enough to suit you, you can tweak on down the line a bit. But cold-turket withdrawal from caffeine is nasty, and for me, had no benefit.

droyle150
Tue, May-16-06, 08:31
For me, it was just drinking something hot that I was addicted to, so now I mostly drink green tea, with no cream or sweetner, and only occasionally have coffe with the works!

bkloots
Tue, May-16-06, 08:56
Sorry...that amount of cream is not going to work. Even if you use half-n-half, the calories will catch up with you sooner or later.

Whenever we start a new plan, the things to look out for are the old habits, cravings, can't-live-withouts. These are alarm bells. These are the things that got us in trouble to begin with. The only solution is NEW BEHAVIORS. And Atkins is all about learning new behaviors.

If that means biting the bullet, and eliminating "the one thing" you think you can't live without, give it a try. Yes, that caffeine withdrawal headache is really bad, but it doesn't last forever. Take a painkiller, and keep on telling yourself that the benefits outweigh the pain. They do. I promise.

AmandaMc
Tue, May-16-06, 08:58
I don't drink coffee, make sure I have lots of water or I would have 10 cups a day!!! You know it gives you a bad head so just don't use it, it isn't easy but either is giving up our old ways!!

nocarb
Tue, May-16-06, 09:52
even forgetting the calorie, the carbs will really add up with that much cream. if you have a 8 oz cup and half of that is cream, that is 3 carbs just in cream - multiple that by # of cups.

nikkil
Thu, May-18-06, 08:14
Try gradually cutting back on the amount of cream - you might even like it more! I'm wondering if you're trying to cut back on your coffee consumption or if you've always had it with this much cream? Try watering down the cream, too, to stretch it more. That's a heck of a lot of cream :) If you're on atkins Induction you should only be having about 2-3 oz of cream per day (from what I remember??).

hth,

MicheleK
Thu, May-18-06, 10:00
I'm coffee-crazy!! I used to use milk in my coffee, now I've switched to heavy cream, I can get away with a small splash, as it's very rich. I've thought about using half n half but, I haven't seen any stalling with the heavy cream and I think I use less of that then I would other creamers.

I drink mostly ice tea, water and coffee (I cannot stand soda of any kind). Needless to say I haven't cut my caffine at all...and it has not bothered my weight-loss.

Good luck!