PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Products

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

soulmia
Sat, May-13-06, 09:08
Hey guys,
I'm on Day 4... and so far so great :D
I have a question... I don't get any atkins - friendly products in India. The boyfriend is in Sweden on work and has promised to bring me back some goodies... what are the "acceptable! Atkins treats? Should I dare to ask...during induction..:D
I am now craving some sugary thing.:devil:.. maybe some atkins protein bar... or ?
he'll be back to India on the 18th... so even if the "treats" are not allowed during induction, at least he can bring some for post induction...?:D

soulmia
Sat, May-13-06, 11:40
i have been looking online but can't figure out good products... anyone?? help...

Elizellen
Sat, May-13-06, 11:58
You need to find out what is in the bars etc then look at your list of 'allowed foods' and see if every ingredient appears on your list.
You can google for most products and find the ingredients.
I usually type in the word ingredients plus the name of the bar for example "morning start"
Make sure you put any 2 or more word names between speech marks so that google searches for the phrase and not the words seperately.
Google will find manufacturers sites and online stores information.
Doing this I found this website http://shop.store.yahoo.com/carbsmart/acerealbar.html
Atkins Morning Start Fruit & Grain Cereal Bars!
INGREDIENTS: Inulin, glycerine, polydextrose, soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, palm kernel oil, canola oil, wheat flour, dried eggs, dried apple pieces (contains sulfur dioxide), almond butter, oat bran, dicalcium phosphate (leavening agent), wheat bran, potato starch, modified cornstarch, natural flavors, guar gum, cinnamon, monoglycerides, sodium bicarbonate, baking powder, caramel color, salt, sodium alginate, gum arabic, tricalcium phosphate, malic acid, citric acid, potassium sorbate (added for freshness), sucralose, acesulfame potassium.
I have emboldened those ingredients which are NOT on the allowed list for induction - others I have never heard of so dont know about.
So from that you can see it is not an induction-legal food, but would be OK once you have passed the 'nut' rung, the 'other fruits' rung and the 'grains' rung of OWL.

Do that for any lowcarb foods he finds (or get him to compare the ingredients on any packs with a copy of the allowed list) before buying them.

Hope this helps

LilaCotton
Sat, May-13-06, 12:48
The sugar craving hit me on my first Induction about day 4, too, and that just happened to be the day of all days when one of our neighbors baked my husband a plate of chocolate chip cookies. Oh, the torture! He doesn't eat them, either, but brought them in the house because he figured our son could have one. I made him take them back out to his pick-up and put them in the glove box.

Luckily that day we had just baked a huge pan full of chicken hindquarters and they were cooling on the counter. I ran in and started eating the crispies in the bottom of the pan. That's all it took--the sugar cravings totally disappeared. Afterward whenever I had an urge for something sweet I ate something with fat.

Induction has its purposes and one of those is to cure the sugar cravings. Just let it do its work and before long you won't be feeling them. :)

soulmia
Sat, May-13-06, 13:08
Thanks both of you :bhug:
The cravings are not so big... it would just be nice to have something sweet (that's allowed) once in a while during induction... someone told me sugar free jello was ok... but i dont like jello :puke:
anyway.... hopefully i'll get over it! The water intake helps... i'm downing serious amounts... close to 6 litres / 192 fl oz per day!!!

Elizellen
Mon, May-15-06, 02:18
You could always use your 'sweetener allowance' to make something else - like a 'mock danish' or a few flax buns.

Meg_S
Mon, May-15-06, 02:33
what about whipped cream? You can add some sweetner to it.. and some cocoa, OR some diet drink flavour crystals or jello.. just to get the fruitiness. Or you can add an espresso to a big blob of whipped cream for a delicious cold coffee dessert. No sweetner needed :)

I've also mixed some plain gelatine with my favourite tea and some sweetner and refrigerated it, it's really good.

Another craving quencher is a spoonful of peanutbutter - pure peanuts peanutbutter. ONE SPOONFUL. DO NOT EAT IT IF YOU CAN'T STOP.

soulmia
Mon, May-15-06, 02:51
i thought coffee was off limits! I have been staying away from it like the plague! I have more tea urges than coffee though...:angel:
Actually if I could finish up my lunch & dinner with a nice mug of tea - I would be in heaven. No dessert needed. But how many carbs would this have??
Lets say I have a mug of mint tea with say a tbspn of milk... twice a day... what part of my carb allowance would this take?
Also, we dont have splenda here ...only equal :(
and I went onto their website (http://www.equal.com) (http://www.equal.com)) and got this :

Myth: Sucralose (SplendaŽ) is a more natural product than other sweeteners.

Fact: Splenda is not a natural sweetener. Sucralose, the sweetener in Splenda, is produced by chemically substituting chlorine atoms in place of hydrogen-oxygen atom groups on the sugar molecule.

so what should I believe??? :confused:

nocarb
Mon, May-15-06, 06:11
According to the USDA, brewed tea has about .5 carb per 6 oz mug.
Herbal tea - like mint has about .3 carb per mug.

I drink herbal teas like mint tea all the time. I think the reason some people stay away from tea is because of the caffeine and mint tea doesn't have caffeine.

You also have to watch the sweeteners and creams. Depends on if you can lose/maintain with them. Some people are sensitive to them and they can also pile on the carbs before you know it. Usually packets of sweeteners like Splenda and Equal have about .9 carbs per pack. An ox of regular milk has 1.4 carbs per oz.

BTW Splenda is not a natural sweetener. Its derived from sugar.

MissieA
Mon, May-15-06, 08:47
and I would use half and half or heavy cream. It has less carbs than milk I think.

Qmass
Mon, May-15-06, 09:18
For Atkins products, the new Advantage Bars are very tasty, especially the flavors with caramel in them. They make a nice occasional treat. The Atkins Morning Start apple crisp breakfast bars might be an acquired taste, but I like them a lot.

soulmia
Tue, May-16-06, 01:17
sighhh... i get no atkins products here and I haven't lost much so I think i'll skip it... but it will be "that time of the month" soon... and I know I'll have an urge to have some sort of sweet... what should I do?
No splenda or splenda products here in India.

Elizellen
Tue, May-16-06, 09:42
What artificial sweeteners can you get, Soulmia?

Perhaps you can adapt one of the many splenda-sweetened cookie recipes to use what you CAN get?

soulmia
Wed, May-17-06, 00:12
hey guys,
i get Equal and Sugar free. But are aspartame based. I do not get splenda at all.
During induction, what dessert can i make??!! I'll be craving in a week or so... :rolleyes: but i do not want to deviate:help:

sshannon81
Fri, May-19-06, 16:25
you can make chocolate butter cream
4 egg yolks
2 TBS cognac
2 TBS of fiely chopped unsweetened dark chocolate
4 pack of sugar substitute
8 TBS unsalted butter,softned

beat all the ingredients in a large bowl with a mixer for 2 minutes
place the mixture in the top of a double bioler over gently simmering water and cook, stir constantly for 7 mintues. remove fromeat and serve immediately

sshannon81
Fri, May-19-06, 16:25
its great for induction

soulmia
Fri, May-19-06, 22:12
this sounds great but is cognac and unsweetened chocolate allowed on induction????????

Elizellen
Sat, May-20-06, 02:56
Cognac definitely isnt!!

If the chocolate has no added sugar listed in the ingredients, you could argue that the cocoa mass in the chocolate is allowed in small quantities as a 'spice', but as it is from a seed I guess it might be better introduced in the OWL seeds/nuts rung.