PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of soy chips?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shortone
Fri, May-12-06, 11:10
A couple weeks ago I found a soy based "chip" (2 flavors) that has 11 carbs, 6 grams fiber and NO sugars or sugar alcohol.

So, I tried them both and I really liked them. Now, I stopped losing weight even though I ate less than 1/2 the serving portion so eating only 1/2 the carbs (2.5). So I did stop eating them - and fyi no weight loss still and I have not eaten them for 9 days now.

Is it OK to have these or is it a huge no no still?

I have been doing Atkins since March 3 and have stayed on induction the whole time (less than 20 carbs) because I have such a hard time losing weight. Though the 1st 2 weeks I was strict to the diet and ONLY ate what was on the list for my 20 carbs.

LilaCotton
Fri, May-12-06, 12:16
Your not losing weight could be as simple as hitting that point everyone seems to after a couple of months or so where for what seems like no reason weight loss simply stops. I did that--stayed there for the longest time. The only way I could get the ball moving again was to start moving up the carb ladder.

I lose slowly but I found that I do lose better with a little bit more carbs. It seems my optimum (and everyone's different) was between 35-45 net carbs per day, keeping my fat up around 70-75% of my caloric intake every day.

And congratulations on your 16 pound loss so far--you're doing great!

Elizellen
Fri, May-12-06, 16:34
Soy products (apart from tofu) are not 'legal' for Atkins induction. Soy is a legume so those chips would be fine once you are at that level/rung of OWL!

Meg_S
Sat, May-13-06, 03:14
Another thing to keep in mind is that soy can be very problematic for the thyroid.. among other things. I'd think tha lst thing one would want if they are trying to lose weight is a sluggish thyroid.

Elizellen
Sat, May-13-06, 04:49
Just a thought about chips (crisps in UK)
We now can buy 'root vegetable crisps' at most large supermarkets. They are made from an assortment of root veggies - carrots/beetroot/parsnip/turnip/celeriac/sweet potatoes.
http://www.bettertastingsnackfoods.co.uk/images/rootveg.jpg
So they would be great for occasional use once you reach the starchy vegetable rung of OWL! Or for induction you could eat only the turnip and celeriac ones and give the others to someone else!

Tim709
Sat, May-13-06, 07:57
I have a pack of those soy chips from Costco too. I wonder if they are ok for phase 2 of south beach.....I should have posted this there too lol

rodeo417
Sat, May-13-06, 21:21
ohhh i love soy chips!!! they are soo good. i like them even more than the veggie chips that i use to eat. but the carbs are too high and have hidden sugars in them. god i miss them.

shortone
Mon, May-15-06, 10:36
I stopped eating soy chips because I thought those too might keep me from losing weight.

And now on weigh in I actually gained a pound. So in 3 weeks I have gained a pound, not lost.

I am going to have my thyroid checked. Nothing is working. And I am SICK, SICK, SICK of just meat and eggs and an occasional veggie.

The soy chips are great - and for me filling. I only need 8-10 and I am satisfied. After my thyriod check I will go back to having them probably once in a while.

honeysmom
Mon, May-15-06, 15:57
Hi shortone
have you tried bac'n puffs they are pork rinds they are o.k. they have no carb and no sugar and taste o.k. for a snack I am still induction this is the 3 week and 10lbs down
honeysmom

shortone
Mon, May-15-06, 16:29
Hi Honeysmom,

I actually have pork rinds (both BBQ and plain) for a snack. Funny story though. Back on my 3rd day of induction (back in April) I was so hungry I opened a bag in my car on the way back to work from my lunch hour. I started to eat one and because they are so light some of the crumbs went down the wrong pipe. I had no water so I coughed and gagged all the way back to work. I walked in with bag in one hand, water coming out of my eyes and everyone thought I was having a diet breakdown. I always have water on the side with my pork rinds now.

And I have always loved those. I got sick of them from induction and don't eat them as much now but I do think they are a great snack if you feel you need something in between meals.

That is something I do love about this new lifestyle diet for me - I dont feel like I NEED to snack anymore. That is one of the many pluses I have found with my "new way of life".

And congrats to you on 10 lbs!!!!! That is fabulous!!!

shortone

honeysmom
Wed, May-17-06, 08:42
Hi shortone
Well this wed, My husband and I have be on inducton for 1 month I am down 12lb and he is down 24lb last night I was giving my daughter some doritois and I thought I would have 1 so I ended up having 5 but they just didn't taste that great.
Where did you find b.b.q pork rinds
honeysmom

nikkil
Thu, May-18-06, 08:10
I've found the plain and bbq'd pork rinds at Real Canadian Superstore - don't know if you have those in Alberta?? Extra Foods and Loblaw's are both RCS, I believe.

I tried the soy crisps and looooved the salt and vinegar but I don't think they did me any favours on the weightloss front. I don't know if it was the extra salt (very salty!!) or the soy or the extra cals or the cravings they triggered (which made me eat more LC-friendly foods).... But, I've decided to steer clear of them anyway :)

shortone
Thu, May-18-06, 09:11
Hi Honeysmom,

I found both the BBQ and the plain pork rinds in my local grocery store in MO. The BBQ ones are harder to find - you really have to look for those. Plus, they do have 1 carb per serving. Though with the bag I buy if I eat the whole thing it is only 4 carbs (I cannot eat the whole bag in 1 sitting though!). I have stayed away from the "hot & spicy" - mostly because I am a wussy though and don't like hot stuff all that much. I notice a lot of gas stations have the pork rinds, so you might check there if no luck at your grocery store.

I prefer the soy chips with the tomato, basil flavoring over the garlic ones. The garlic ones are too salty for me. But I too have begged them off recently due to the stalling of weight loss. Not sure if it is a contributor, but I stopped eating them for now nonetheless.

Oh, and I did have a cheat day and ate some cookies- and me, the total treataholic, cant live without chocolate or sweets - was "blah" after 4 cookies!!! Just one day of cheating also made me go up 2 lbs - so "cheat days" are not on my list for a long time. I started induction again and am going by the book - 2 lbs in 3 days, so back to what I was a week ago. Hopefully I can shed off a couple more lbs by Monday for weigh in!!

shortone

nikkil
Fri, May-19-06, 08:29
Cool thing - I'd heard that there were KETCHUP flavoured pork rinds but they didn't have them at my local store - talked to the manager and he ordered them for me! Had them in a couple of days. I don't know if there are ketchup potato chips in the US but they've been here in Canada for eons :yum: :yum: :yum: I remember my uncle from Seattle was grossed out by the idea :lol:

shortone
Fri, May-19-06, 09:01
EWWW!! Ketchup pork rinds does sound sort of disgusting (sorry!!). I think I will stick to my BBQ ones.

I found I like the other soy chips - the tomato, basil ones, better than the garlic, vinegar ones. I do think the vinegar ones are too salty, for my taste at least. And I too found they might not have been the best for weight loss. At first I still lost and ate those about every other day. Then my weight loss stopped. So I guess for me they could be a "treat" or good on my "cheat days".

Where are the hidden carbs in soy chips?

Elizellen
Sat, May-20-06, 02:03
It might not be 'hidden carbs' at all, but a result of soy products (apart ftom tofu) not being an induction-allowed food.

Remember, soya beans are a legume so not introduced on Atkins till we are at the legume rung/level of OWL!

It might be that eating higher OWL rung foods is what causes problems for inductioneers who eat them too soon!

nikkil
Mon, May-22-06, 10:51
I didn't like the ketchup ones, either - I just thought it was great that the store was willing to order them for me :) I tried and didn't like them at all. I actually don't like pork rinds, period, but thought the flavouring would help. The only thing I use pork rinds for is coating chicken pieces and then they are KILLER :yum: :yum: :yum:

I do think that soy is an issue for me. I was using soy milk in my protein shakes and didn't lose nearly as well as I thought I should have (long story about the meal plan I'd worked out). I've attributed it to the soy milk and have cut it out now. We'll see what happens.....

Yeah, the salt-and-vinegar ones are waaaay too salty and I'm somebody who loves salt! So, the good thing was that I only ate a little at a time and I drank tons of water along with them :lol: