PDA

View Full Version : Potassium pill.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

edie
Fri, May-12-06, 08:20
Can anybody think of a low carb way to get 1,000 mg. potassium daily so I could do without my potassium pills?? I know the pill doesn't even contain a third of the daily reqirement. Before low carbing orange juice and spuds and bananas were my usual source. The 1,00 mg. to replace the pill would have to be something I could eat daily. ;-)

arc
Fri, May-12-06, 08:46
Avocados and romaine lettuce are both very high in potassium and are low carb.

cs_carver
Fri, May-12-06, 10:55
Anything leafy in going to be pretty high in potassium.

I don't worry about counting. I use the lite salt and eat lots of greens and take the pills if I get the precursor twitching in my legs that tells me cramps are a possibility.

LilaCotton
Fri, May-12-06, 11:04
Definitely! Eating LC you should never, ever be low on potassium.

All the cabbage family vegetables are high in potassium as are celery, spinach, peppers and many others. One-half cup of raw red pepper has 132 mg. One-half cup of cooked spinach has 442 mg. A 7-inch long stalk of celery has 115 mg.

Also, meat is an excellent source. Different meats vary in amount with pork being the highest and white meats like chicken and fish being the lowest. A 4-ounce pork chop has 458 mg. while a 4-ounce chicken breast has 276 mg., 4 ounces of cooked salmon has 492 milligrams.

If you set up an account at www.fitday.com and enter your food intake daily you'll be able to see how much of various nutrients you're getting. Keep in mind, though, that a food's nutrients is also going to vary as to how good the soil is on which it was produced.

According to my FitDay I get over 2,000 mg of potassium daily. Even if that's off some because of the aforementioned bad soil, I know realistically I should still be getting at least half that.

Galadriell
Fri, May-12-06, 11:57
Replace your "traditional" salt with Morton's Salt Substitute (0 sodium, 610 mg potassium/serving - 1 serving is 1/4 tsp). It will help to lower your sodium intake, and increase your potassium intake.
If you check your food on Fitday, you will see how high is your everyday food level in sodium, without added salt.
(You can find this salt next to the traditional salts at any grocery store, for the same price.)

Cheers:
Eva