PDA

View Full Version : diarrhoea

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kton
Thu, May-11-06, 04:31
I have been on a low carbohydrate diet for five months. Previously I ate a large amount of junk food (biscuits, icecream, crisps etc). I have lost 33 pounds, I have more energy and in general I feel very good except that I have chronic (almost daily) diarrhoea with occasional (less than weekly) very painful abdominal cramps with extremely urgent diarrhoea. Have others had any experience with this?

Meg_S
Thu, May-11-06, 05:38
what do you eat? Post a menu and maybe we'll find something... if not, it sounds like something to go to the doctor about. It could be a food allergy or...?

liddie01
Thu, May-11-06, 05:41
are you eating sugar free candy? Malitol gives me both of those problems.

Supermomm4
Thu, May-11-06, 10:59
Same for me, sugar alcohols do it to me every time.

WNABTHN
Thu, May-11-06, 11:22
I notice severe abdominal cramps if I eat too much of the sugar alchohols also. I can have one of the bars with it in it a day but more than that and I'm in trouble.

LilaCotton
Thu, May-11-06, 15:20
I'll vote with everyone else on this one. The only time I have that problem, unless I'm sick, is from eating sugar alcohols. Maltitol does it the worst to me.

A couple of weeks ago before re-starting Induction I ate a very small piece of a sugar-free cream pie. Within 15 minutes I was miserable! As I suspected, the #1 SA in it was Maltitol.

nawchem
Thu, May-11-06, 15:29
I had a problem when I first started LC. I read on the atkins site that occasionally that the change in diet sometimes triggers that and the remedy was to take fiber supplements. But mine went away in a couple of weeks.

If its not sugar alchohols, maybe you added something new into your diet that you are allergic to or just doesn't agree with your stomach.

DaddioM
Thu, May-11-06, 16:30
hi.. for me LC'ing made me more consistant. I'm wondering if it's a particular item in your diet. Sugar alcohols' wreck their revenge on a lot of people.

The other possibility is that you picked up something totally unrelated to LC. I am just recovering from bad bouts of what you had that was due to an ANTIBIOTIC I took for a totally unrelated thing. Turns out it killed off part of the "good" bacteria in my system and left behind some other stuff that caused the runs!!

Regardless, hope everything works out "in the end":lol: (sorry... sick joke, if I hadn't just gone through it myself... I wouldn't have felt right saying it)

:bhug:

Mike

waywardsis
Thu, May-11-06, 17:24
I had this today also, with bad cramps. I've only had one day of VLC (under 20g) and I'd been eating under 60g for awhile, but I binged on the weekend BIGTIME and am wondering if that could be the cause? Could LC be 'flushing' me out from the weekend?

LilaCotton
Thu, May-11-06, 18:32
Oh, good grief! I don't know why I didn't think about this when I posted earlier, but there's an intestinal bug going around our area that's having some pretty bad gastrointestinal effects on people.

kton
Sun, May-14-06, 18:14
Dear everyone, thank you for taking the time to reply. Actually I haven't eaten any sugar alcohols. I thought it might have been the vinegar in my salad dressing, then I thought it might be beef, then I thought it could be cheese, then I thought it might be nuts. However, your responses make me think it's not the diet. My doctor said that a high fat diet and nuts could trigger IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Thank you for a helpful website.

liddie01
Sun, May-14-06, 18:17
yes my grandmother has that, no nuts or seeds for her.