PDA

View Full Version : Carb Questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SPARKER
Tue, May-09-06, 08:39
Have Been On A Modified Adkins Diet Since Dec 05, 40 Total Carbs A Day, Have Lost Close To 60 Lbs. Now The ???? I Have Is Trying To Figure Out When A Package Has Soluble Fiber And Insoluble Fiber On The Label. Also Other Carbs. I Am Not Sure Which Of These To Take Off When Trying To Find Net Carbs. Some Say Take Both The Fibers Off, Some Say Dont, Can Anyone Help????. On Some Items If You Take All Off You End Up With More That The Total Carbs Before Taking Anything Off. Confused Please Help Sparker

Elizellen
Tue, May-09-06, 12:34
It depends partly on where you live!
In the UK our labels list the net carbs as 'total' carbs because they have already deducted the fibre from the carbs counting process! Our fibre count is listed in a different section of the label to the other carbs including sugar and polyols.

If you are in the USA or somewhere where they list the fibre directly below the total carbs and sugar on the label then deduct the fiber count to get the 'net carbs'

bkloots
Tue, May-09-06, 13:46
Soluble fiber and insoluble fiber are both fiber--the indigestible portion of the total carbs. You can subtract all fiber to get net carbs.

SPARKER
Wed, May-10-06, 12:32
If You Take All Fiber Off Plus Other Carbs Then Sugar Alcohols Sometimes It Adds Up To More Than The Total Carbs Were To Begin With. This Is What Is Confusing Me. My Dr Told Me To Take Off Fiber, Sugar Alcohols And Other Carbs, That Is Whe The Soluble And Insoluble Confused Me. Sparker :)

LilaCotton
Wed, May-10-06, 14:04
If You Take All Fiber Off Plus Other Carbs Then Sugar Alcohols Sometimes It Adds Up To More Than The Total Carbs Were To Begin With. This Is What Is Confusing Me. My Dr Told Me To Take Off Fiber, Sugar Alcohols And Other Carbs, That Is Whe The Soluble And Insoluble Confused Me. Sparker :)

Sugar alcohols do cause a lot of confusion. Most of the time you should count at least 50% of the carbs coming from sugar alcohols because contrary to what they're trying to tell us, our bodies do metabolize at least some of those carbs and some people's bodies metabolize all of them.

My sister who is diabetic said her doctor told her that she needs to count all the carbs in sugar alcohols because while they're not absorbed as rapidly as plain sugar they are absorbed.

You can find out which sugar alcohols your body metabolizes by over-eating them. If you don't metabolize them you'll have gastrointestinal discomfort and possibly even severe diarrhea. If you don't have those problems your body is metabolizing them.

bkloots
Wed, May-10-06, 14:38
You can't go wrong AVOIDING sugar alcohols. It's easy to overeat foods that contain them (breakfast bars, shakes, snack bars, etc.) and that can really sabotage your program and your health.