PDA

View Full Version : Fat percentages???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

scrapmommy
Mon, May-08-06, 16:41
I just started Atkins a week ago and I'm really starting to worry that I'm eating too much fat. I've been entering in my foods at fitday.com and the percentages look weird too me. So far today I have 67% Fat 1% Carbs and 32% Protein. What about calories, do I need to be concerned about those. I havent had dinner yet so I'm sure it will change but is this ok? Somebody help!!! :q:

hakimaj
Mon, May-08-06, 16:45
That seems about right. Keep fat at around 70%.
I know its a shock after years of low-fat training.

JaneDough
Mon, May-08-06, 17:24
Keep the fat intake high, and don't worry about calories unless you stop losing for weeks on end.

LilaCotton
Mon, May-08-06, 17:27
It looks downright scary, doesn't it? I actually found I don't lose a pound if my fat drops below 65% of my caloric intake. (Your mileage probably will vary.)

scrapmommy
Mon, May-08-06, 18:44
it is very scary looking your right LilaCotton. After dinner the percentages were still the same. My calories were over 2000. WOW!!! I totaly remember doing diets where you only had 1200 Calories what a change. But this is working for me. I'm already down 12 pounds!!! Thanks to everyone for all you advice and thoughts.

emily30
Mon, May-08-06, 19:06
I remember writing a similar post when I first started Atkins a year ago. I was SO worried about my fat intake. I didn't even listen to people at first when they told me not to worry about how high it was. I kept trying to bring my fat lower and lower and the weight loss stopped. When my fat percentages got back up between 70% and 80% the weight literaly started dropping off within days. I usually have 5% carbs, 25% protein, and 70% fat daily. My daily calorie intake is somewhere between 1100-1600.

rodeo417
Mon, May-08-06, 19:14
just remember that fat rocks and carbs suck!!!! the fat is your friend. just try to keep it i think between 60-80 it said in the book.

scrapmommy
Mon, May-08-06, 20:14
Ok I get it about the fat percentage. But what about the calories. My calories today were 2200. Way too high right? Someone help???

emily30
Mon, May-08-06, 21:26
Dr. A suggest you don't count calories in the begining; although, this doesn't mean you can consume 3500 daily and expect the weight to come off as quickly. Your calories are individual. It depends on what you do in a day. Are you active? When I began, I consumed a really low amount of calories (yes, I had a calorie fear) like 800-1000, my body was essentially starving and I wasn't losing. When I began doing the plan correctly, I was consuming about 1800 daily, I was NOT active by a long shot and was losing fairly quickly.

As you move up the ladder, you add more veggies (most are low calorie) you'll see the calories lower themselves and carbs go up a bit. I think if you're consuming 2200 cals daily, and are still losing, then keep it up. If the weight loss is slow or nil, drop the calories back a couple hundred. In all honesty, 2200 isn't that high. I think you should shoot for 1600-2000.

I hope this helps a bit. :D

scrapmommy
Mon, May-08-06, 22:13
Thanks emily30, for the good info. The calorie thing makes much more sense now. I think I'm losing at a good rate, so I will just continue everything as is!

LilaCotton
Mon, May-08-06, 23:58
it is very scary looking your right LilaCotton. After dinner the percentages were still the same. My calories were over 2000. WOW!!! I totaly remember doing diets where you only had 1200 Calories what a change. But this is working for me. I'm already down 12 pounds!!! Thanks to everyone for all you advice and thoughts.

:agree: Yeppers! I rarely eat less than 1800 calories at this weight (I try to follow the 10x rule because it works for me but if I'm still full at the end of the day I don't eat just to bring up the calories) and as long as I keep the fat content up I lose reasonably well--well, at least really well for a 46-year-old not-very-active perimenopausal female. ;)

scrapmommy
Tue, May-09-06, 08:16
Hey LilaCotton, what is the 10x rule??? (I do have the Atkins book, I have read it before but currently it is missing.)

zorra_1
Tue, May-09-06, 11:27
It looks downright scary, doesn't it? I actually found I don't lose a pound if my fat drops below 65% of my caloric intake. (Your mileage probably will vary.)
Same here...plus I often don't feel as full for as long unless I get the fat way up there!