PDA

View Full Version : Something is finally working...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nancy LC
Thu, May-04-06, 09:53
Not exactly sure what to attribute this to, but I have two theories, one of which is probably correct.

Theory A) Food intolerances

I found out that I have some food intolerances to most grains and dairy. It isn't lactose intolerance it is casein intolerance (for the dairy). Once I got off grains and diary my stomach cramping, IBS, diarrhea vastly improved. However, I'm also still finding other foods that irritate my GI tract, I think nuts and chocolate might also. Whaaa!

Even after first cutting out the offending foods and goign on the SCD diet to get things healed and figure out what all I can't digest well, I still wasn't losing weight. It has taken about 5 months since I gave up dairy products to really start losing weight. I also think corn gives me problems too, but I think rice might be ok with my gut.

I should also mention that I had a lot of hypothyroid symptoms until I gave up the dairy and gluten (wheat/barley/oats and the ilk). My brain felt foggy and slow, I was tired all the time. Getting off the wheat helped a bit but I think the dairy was the real key.

Theory B) Autoimmune disease
I was diagnosed during this time with Ankylosing Spondylitis and put on the drug sulfasalazine. My doctor mentioned that many of his AS patients also have a lot of issues with food intolerances. Well, the drug has really made my gut a lot better and it has helped with the arthritic pains and tendonitis I was having. Perhaps the drug is also helping with my metabolism somehow. I haven't seen weight loss as a side effect of the drug.

So, whatever it is, I've lost about 8 pounds since all this started. I was stalled and unable to lose even on a low calorie/low carb diet. Something is definitely helping!

I have noticed that whenever I get glutened or something that really upsets my gut I'll also gain a couple of pounds and my lower abdomen will swell up really big.

My ideal diet for now is meat, veggies, fish, fruit with the occassional rice and some nuts. I also use a lot of coconut (milk, flour) and I like to make Thai food.

This week I have been noshing on Salmon patties I made with some left-over brown rice. Last week my diet was awful, I had a few days where I binged on potato chips and yet this week, once I got back onto a better diet, I had lost 3 pounds.

Horray!

Judynyc
Sat, May-20-06, 18:14
Good job!! :thup: :D

It must be tough when you want to lose and your body does not cooperate due to illness. Your a tough lady to hang on through it. :agree: