PDA

View Full Version : Husband has morning dizziness

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nannaangel
Thu, May-04-06, 09:01
My husband and I are not new to low-carb eating and I am feeling fantastic since I came back 2 weeks ago. :agree: My husband is complaining though of feeling dizzy when he first gets up in the morning. He has 100 pounds to lose but seems in good health otherwise. Has anyone had this problem or know anything about this problem??? :help: I do not want him to give this up. I feel better than I have in years!! Let me know what you all think.

montanasun
Thu, May-04-06, 11:53
Sorry I can't help but I wonder if his blood sugar is low. I would suggest he go see a doctor if it continues.

Afrikahnea
Thu, May-04-06, 12:03
When I first started the LC I experienced headaches but they eventually went away with the carb cravings. How long has he been low carbing?

nannaangel
Thu, May-04-06, 12:17
We have been back to low carbing for two weeks.

LilaCotton
Thu, May-04-06, 14:04
I'm no expert, but am wondering about his activity level. If he's extremely active during the day he may simply need an increase in carb levels to make him feel better.

Last summer I was working pretty hard on a project and found there was no way I could stay at the level of carbs I had been eating. An increase of 20-30 per day was all it took to make me feel much better.

hakimaj
Thu, May-04-06, 14:45
Does he have a history of hypoglycemia?
Does he have any sinus or hayfever issues?
Does he have hypertension?
Does he feel less dizzy after he eats something?
Any other symptoms with the dizziness?

Rsmry
Thu, May-04-06, 15:14
I experienced a few episodes of morning dizziness in my first 10 days or so doing Atkins. Really dizzy, staggering about, felt like I was drunk. I adapted by making sure I had extra time to do things in the morning and take it easy while I fixed my breakfast and sat down to eat it and then relaxed for another 10 or 15 minutes after breakfast. That worked fine and it went away after a few days. I also have about 100 to lose (well, actually 89 now, -11 pounds in 12 days or so) and am a type 2 insulin-dependent diabetic.

Rosemary

arc
Thu, May-04-06, 18:34
When I first go into ketosis, I have dizziness. I can take care of it by taking more potassium.

The other thing that gives me dizzy spells is eating wheat gluten (low carb helped me find out that I am gluten intolerant). It's more of a stoned feeling than vertigo, though.

nannaangel
Thu, May-04-06, 20:58
Thanks for all your responses! He has no history of any blood sugar problems and has never taken bp medicine. The thing that struck a chord was about the potassium. Before low carbing, he would literally binge on bananas. He will start his suppliments tomorrow. :wave: