PDA

View Full Version : Really Long Stalls

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bat Spit
Wed, May-03-06, 08:29
Can I have others who got stuck in really long stalls come by and share their stories?

I've been stalled for about a year. The last time I saw something nice on the scale was last June, and I've only lost 1 size since then, which I firmly attribute to excersize.

I've tried more carbs, less carbs, more fat, less fat...
I eat plenty of coconut oil, I'm not on many prescriptions.
I don't eat cheese or artificial sweeteners or grains.
I excersize 4 days a week to the best of my ability. 2 days of Curves, 2 days of maximum weights and the excersize bike. Physically I don't feel like I can handle any more at this weight.
I have ED, so counting calories too closely is a Bad Idea for me.

I lost my first 100 lbs too fast. Most of my very long hair fell out. I've been content to wait until I start losing again, but its been nearly a year, and now I'm tired of waiting. I'll be traveling this fall, and I'd really like to lose another 2-3 sizes in my hips before traveling internationally so I fit in seats and chairs.

I know I'm at a set point. I've been this size twice in the past. Thats one of the reason I was ok with a stall for a while. But now I'm just frustrated.

Please share your stories with me!

Nancy LC
Wed, May-03-06, 09:03
Well, my solution to stalls has been to cut calories and that means at some point having to count them. But I don't count them compulsively. What I do is find some recipes, work out about what I'll eat, and then follow that pattern until I'm sick of it.

Have you gotten your thyroid checked? It seems like you did, but I can't quite recall.

My other thought is, the coconut oil thing. First off, we don't really know if it does anything. Plenty of people have their suspicions its a marketing gimmick. Lets say it does rev up the metabolism a bit. Would it be enough to handle the additional extra calories coming from the coconut oil?

Bat Spit
Wed, May-03-06, 10:08
Would it be enough to handle the additional extra calories coming from the coconut oil?

I thought of that, but at my size, I still have quite a few calories to work with. The calculators figure my BMR at 2300 calories.

I'm trying to use the Protein Power protein numbers because I'm REALLY upset about all the hair loss, which various sources attribute pretty much 50-50 to 'crash' dieting and insufficient protein.

But, I have a very efficient liver, so I have to mix my protein with enough fat or I just get unbalance blood sugars.

I use 3 T in my morning herbal tea with protein powder, I use it to cook with when its flavor appropriate, and if I feel edgy from too much protein at lunch, I'll have another mug of tea.

Plenty for any health benefits (which I have decided to accept), but not insane calories at my size.

My thyroid is checked regularly, and is fine, even according to the new numbers.

Thanks for the ideas.

kbfunTH
Wed, May-03-06, 10:26
I would recommend purchasing a caltrac monitor to help you track your calorie intake and your calorie burn. You can also get a bmr test done so that you know how many calories your burning per day not counting your activity. Knowing these numbers will arm you with what you need to put yourself in a favorable calorie/energy balance.

Using your current statistics, your predicted RMR is around 2400 calories per day. The average person burns around 1.5 times that amount in a day (rmr+activity), which puts you at a maximum of around 3700 calories/day. Consuming somewhere in the middle is where you want to be. Making regular adjustments to this is necessary as your weight changes to avoid stalls.

Being at a stall for a year is to long. I wouldn't settle for more than two weeks.

Citruskiss
Wed, May-03-06, 10:35
I can certainly relate to the idea of a really long stall, I'm still somewhat stalled myself, and this has been going on for the better part of a year for myself as well.

I think Nancy is right in that you might want to focus on calories.

This being said, you can lower your calories without actually counting them. Just take a look at some of your regular foods and cut out the ones that seem overly caloric.

For instance, I've cut out nuts, pork rinds, cream cheese and the like.

I'm also cutting back on cheese, cream and the more caloric salad dressings. I'm avoiding sausages now too, which I was eating for breakfast on a regular basis...not because of the calories, but because I'm convinced they have "stalling" chemicals in them somehow.

I'm learning how to season my foods without overly caloric sauces, or cheese. For instance, I'm now using Newman's Own Light Italian dressing instead of the gobs of blue cheese or ranch dressing I was eating in the past. I am trying to reach for the squeeze bottle of mustard instead of the mayo jar when I sit down to eat a piece of roast beef or what have you.

Trouble is, I haven't been consistent enough at these changes to see whether or not they make a difference, but I'm betting these little changes could make a huge difference if I just *focus* on sticking with them, instead of falling into a habitual pattern of complacency around food.

Another thing that might help is increasing your activity level just around the house, not adding to your current exercise regimen. I've noticed that when I do more around the house, I seem to lose more. Things like window cleaning, laundry and all kinds of fixit projects keep me moving, without feeling like I'm "exercising". I filled up a 30 yard dumpster last weekend with construction debris that was left from our recent kitchen reno...and it was a lot of work, but I still didn't feel like I was actually "exercising" , and yet...the scale moved downward after that weekend of clearing the place out.

Anyway, just a few suggestions, and more importantly , I wanted to let you know that I can empathize with this overly long stall...it's demoralizing at times isn't it? At least that's how I feel.

Sometimes I get into a whiny sort of head space...thinking, "Well, why bother with this if it's not working anyway?" or things like, "Geez...I've been doing this for more than a year and been stalled for like 12 months here..what the heck?"

Perhaps getting impatient and somewhat angry about it will help us. We can't change what we don't acknowledge. We deserve to reach our goals and with a little re-vamping and maybe some foot-stomping, we'll get there.

Nancy LC
Wed, May-03-06, 12:58
Being at a stall for a year is to long. I wouldn't settle for more than two weeks.
LOL! Sometimes the body just doesn't care about the schedule the brain has set for it.

I've had pretty my best recent successes lately when I ate just meat, veggies and a little fruit and coconut milk. Getting away from the foods I don't seem to digest well (grains and dairy) seem to have helped my body.

Bat Spit
Wed, May-03-06, 13:52
Using your current statistics, your predicted RMR is around 2400 calories per day. The average person burns around 1.5 times that amount in a day (rmr+activity), which puts you at a maximum of around 3700 calories/day.

So that would give me a general goal of about 3000 per day. Makes me wonder if I'm eating enough. I've decided to count for a few days to get a general idea.

Meats, salads, fats, and minor amounts of fruit is pretty much all I eat these days. A little cream, and butter.

Well, I suppose if you only need to lose 10 lbs. But after losing 100 lbs, 75% of the volume of my hair, and hitting a set point, I was completely sure my body needed a rest.

An off-line friend suggested that it was just a cumulative stress problem (we're having a lot of it at work just now) and that things should get better after the next release. Maybe.

Thanks for the support!

Shreen
Wed, May-03-06, 17:57
It may not look like I don't have much to lose compared to others, but my "stall" (actually a gain) started last July. I have been LCing for 10 years and haven't gained a pound (except for 2 pregnancies and in about 8 weeks I was back to baseline, which I attribute to being LC). I have gained about 20 lbs since July. Not changing anything except maybe some meds (birth control, antidepressants) I am even considering going off birth control & using the sponge just to see if that is it (off antidepressants...) Maybe just age/metabolism??

I can't fit into any of my clothes from last year & I am spilling out of my bras (currently 34DD- not buying new bras.) I am a miserable mess and do not want to buy new clothes. Wish I could find a quick fix for 5-10 lbs so I could fit into my clothes at least, so I could just feel good about myself. :tears:
Tried meat/egg, but doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I might just go low carb/low fat- do some salads w/ meat & cut my calories really low. I am just afraid I will be hungry without much fat.

I tried coconut oil too & doesn't seem to be helping- except to crave the sugar free chocolates I make from them- very bad!!!

Rachel1
Wed, May-03-06, 22:36
Hi, Shreen. We're about the same height, and I know what extra poundage means on a small body - every pound gained or lost seems to show disproportionately.

I've been LCing for about 5 years. I lost about 20 pounds the first year or so (it comes off VERY slowly if you're smaller and lighter!) and then stalled for a LONG time. Last summer I started a regular exercise program (Curves) and experimented for the first time with reducing calories, mostly from fat. It worked! I lost 15 pounds that summer!

This summer I'd like to take off another 10, if I can. For me, the ticket is regular exercise and calorie control ... not to starvation rations, but maybe about 1400/day. I've switched to low-fat cheese and eliminated cream; I've reduced meat, increased fish and poultry, and closely monitor the amount of oil I cook with.

I think that for people with smaller body frames and less weight to lose, especially women, cutting calories (along with LC, of course) is the ONLY way to go, unfortunately!

The good news is that as long as I don't go below 1200-1300 cals/day, I don't feel hungry.

I've started using coconut oil too, but I substitute it for other oils rather than consuming it as an "extra." I'm not sure it helps with weight loss, but it sure tastes good!

Hope this helps.

Rachel

boree
Thu, May-04-06, 09:03
I have been on a stall now for 4 months, I know what you mean about getting frustrated and discouraged. I see others' posts saying "I am down another 2 pounds!" and I cant lose any more to save my life!! I have done it all, gone on the meat/egg fast, take L-carnitine, 3 times a day, take CO10 3 times a day, drink 120 ounces plus, of water every day, drink green tea off and on all day, I lowered the fat, then upped the fat, I lowered the calories, then upped the calories, cut out veggies, then added back some veggies, tried coconut oil, don't eat past a certian time in the evenings, plus I work out 3 to 4 times a week at a place called "SHAPES" (it's like Curves).... did all of it, those scales are not moving, neither are the inches...... I too think sometimes "what is the use, I dont mind giving up the foods I loved and used to eat, and sit and watch others everyday eat the ice cream, cakes, steakfingers and gravy, rolls, candy bars, etc. if I could lose even 1 pound a month, but this is rediculous.

Bat Spit
Sat, May-06-06, 07:29
So, I've been counting and weighing, and I've come to the conclusion I'm probably not actually eating enough. I have a bad habit of not bothering to eat in the afternoon, because food is so darned boring.

I'm getting to about 2800-3000 cals the last few days while keeping track, but twice I've had to remind myself to not skip eating mid afternoon.

Last night I probably had about 1000 fat calories from nuts and coconut oil for an evening snack, and this morning I actually feel a little better.

I think I'm going to actively try for 3500-4000 cals for a few weeks. See what happens. My weights pretty stable, so I'll stop if I gain more than 2 lbs.

I'm still interested in peoples long stall stories!

kbfunTH
Tue, May-09-06, 11:30
i would suggest a caltrac or carbtrac calorie monitor
http://www.caltrac.net/
http://www.ultimatedietsecrets.com/carb-and-calorie-tracker.html

i would also get my rmr tested. find a place near you that does bodygem testing.
http://www.metabolicfingerprint.com/locator/

babe
Tue, May-16-06, 02:44
i've been stalled for a year. just about a year ago, i finally got down to 197. i had been pretty much stalled for a couple of months before that but as a last ditch measure, i went on the fat fast and finally made oneunder. it didn't last, as soon as i went back to my induction level carb, i started gaining. and then it all went down hill. i started adding carbs for OWL and spun out of control and when on a loonnnggg carb binge. physically, i went down hill - i gained 10 pounds, my arthritis and back problems got worse, my blood sugars went up as did my insulin levels. i got started on glucophage and the only reason my dr didn't diagnosis diabetes is because my a1c was ok. my bp (already high and on a bunch of meds) got out of wack and i cycled through a ton of bp drugs. all my lab work got crappy - elevated cpr, homecyctine levels, cholesterol. i felt terrible and i thought what the f---, if this isn't working why bother. (did i mention the long carb binge, although technically, is it still a binge if it lasts for months??)

after january, i took a real close look at myself and decided to try and get my act together. tried a bunch of slightly bizarro labs and vitamin and mineral supplements combinations - so so effects. i went back on induction - didn't really work, upped calories- no effect, 5 small meals a day (gotta prevent those nasty insulin spikes) - maybe a little effect, restricted calories - worked a little bit, upped the fat - finally started losing about a pound every 2 weeks.

then i went to my doctor. my bp had been stable for a couple of months, the big neon sign flashing STROKE COMING i had been seeing over my head seemed to be fading away. i had lost some weight, not a huge amt, but better than i had been doing. i was feeling pretty good compared to the way i had all winter. then he acts like i had not made any progress at all. tells me people who lose weight improve their blood sugars. i pointed out i had lost 30 pounds but my labs had gotten worse. "it's your disease progressing'" he says. yes, he's a a--hole but that's another post

so i started really thinking of my problems as a disease process, not just being too fat. i looked again at my labs and started thinking about insulin. the glucophage had not really done much for my blood sugar levels, it's not so much a hypoglycemic drug to lower blood sugar but to utilize my own insulin better. and oddly enough, my blood pressure came down on it. hypertension is one of the side effects of elevated insulin levels. (i mentioned this to several drs, none of then seemed to take it seriously but i found it interesting as i had just spent the last 6 months taking my bp and waiting for the big stroke or mi) i've got metabolic syndrome bad - bp, lipids, abd fat, elevated insulin levels- and have probably had it for years. i've been hypertense for 20 years, lipids at least 10 years, obese with abd fat - omg don't even want to think how long. i've had metabolic syndrome since it was syndrome x and maybe before. well then, i can't expect a quick fix, and with the worsening of my glucose intolerance, i now see DIABETES COMING flashing over my head. so i started rereading my lc books. the ones who talked about leveling out insulin levels that made the most sense to me now were the drs heller and the carbohydrate addicts diet.

last week i started on the cad diet, 2-3 meals a day, one the reward meal with carbs. none of that frequent small meal even when i wasn't hungry just in case my insulin might be thinking about spiking! it's too soon to tell how this is going to work, i've not really lost, but i haven't gained either, and eating carbs once a day has not sent me into an uncontrolled carb eating frenzy. i don't know if it's going to work, but what to i have to lose at this stage of the game?

camaromom
Tue, May-16-06, 13:48
I stalled for 9 months last year. I kept bouncing between 145 and 150. I did all the same things as you, increase carbs, decrease carbs, increase fat, decrease fat, increase exercise, decrease exercise, counted calories, etc. I finally started losing again, I don't know why. I got down to 134. Now I'm stuck again. I keep bouncing between 134 and 141. I wish that I had the magic answer for you. Heck, I wish I had it for me. My goal originally was 120, now I'd settle for 125.

Lisa in RI
Sun, May-28-06, 09:10
Shreen,

You mentioned being on antidepressants. That will cause a weight gain and slow your weight loss down for a while. I also went on meds to help with a death in the family. I gained no matter what I did on any diet including LC. Even after I went off the meds. My doctor told me it can take a long time for the side effects to go away. It's been 1 year and I'm finally seeing results. Don't give up.

foxgluvs
Sun, May-28-06, 10:27
I stalled pretty much for a year also, I found switching to a higher carb plan worked for me, prior to that I had been uping carbs but still higher fat, this plan South Beach is lower in fat but higher in the good carbs like fruit and veggies and a little whole grains.

I have since lost 40lbs this past year, it took 4 months to drop 40lbs on atkins, but then like I said the weight loss just stopped dead for months and months.

I do hope you can find your soution....going onto SB is the best thing I did.

Shreen
Sun, May-28-06, 12:11
Lisa,
Thanks. I'm going to see my primary MD soon- getting some labwork & asking her some questions. Hoping to drop it soon.