PDA

View Full Version : Low-carb peanut butter?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alahna86
Mon, May-01-06, 20:40
There is a "Carb Options" brand of peanut butter floating around out there and I'd love to give my celery-stick snack a friend ... is this safe for Induction? If not, what about cream cheese?

leslieam
Mon, May-01-06, 20:46
Hello - on Induction I'd stay away from the LC PB. Cream cheese is okay, 2 oz a day is what I believe the daily maximum to be. Once you move out of induction a little LC PB will be fine.

Be forewarned - for me personally it's super easy to overdose on LC PB. :lol: I have no self control when it comes to that stuff. But if I'm having a sweet tooth I'll get a teaspoon of LC PB and my sweet tooth is cured.

They have stopped carrying the Carb Options LC PB around here - I will have to switch to natural PB once I use up the 5 jars of Carb Options LC PB I bought when my local grocery store marked them down. ;)

Best of luck to you.

shopgirl28
Mon, May-01-06, 20:47
unfortunately they are both no no's for a clean induction. Some people do eat some cream cheese without problems, but the book says its a no. Try a clean 2 week induction and then maybe add some cream cheese. HTH

Entropy39
Mon, May-01-06, 21:05
If you have more than the normal serving of LC Peanut Butter you can have stomach problems. I'm just letting you know, I think splenda effects people in different ways.

goodluck!

love
Entropy

ProfGumby
Mon, May-01-06, 22:09
Read the label on the LC peanut butter. Many I have seen used hydrogenated oils and other wonderful chemicals to get them to firm up like the regular crap laden, sugar filled peanut butters we are all used to. :help:

Now read the label on the Natural Peanut Butter, The natural will say, "Peanuts, Salt" for the ingredients. :cool:

Many of the LC peanut butters are so full of additives and such that it turned me right off them. Plus, I think they taste like frankenfood crap compared to the nautural stuff. And the natural peanut butter doesn't cost any more, in fact the two brands here cost LESS!

And they are bad ju ju for induction. Heck, I am in OWL and still struggle not to overeat the peanut butter. I can't imagine what a binge that would have set off while I was induction.

If you must, while on induction, use cream cheese. Your best bet is to wait till you're out of induction though....IMHO

:wave:

JandLsMom
Mon, May-01-06, 23:51
unfortunately they are both no no's for a clean induction. Some people do eat some cream cheese without problems, but the book says its a no. Try a clean 2 week induction and then maybe add some cream cheese. HTH
hmmm..which version of DANDR do you have. I have the 2002 version right here and it DOES list Cream Cheese as an acceptable induction food on pg 125 :)

Elizellen
Tue, May-02-06, 11:55
Yes the 2002 version allows us 3-4 ounces of cheese including cream cheese. The forbidden (till the dairy rung) ones are ones like cottage cheese and ricotta.

Peanut butter would not be 'legal' till the legume rung of OWL.

bkloots
Tue, May-02-06, 12:41
The 1992/1999 version of Atkins permits cream cheese and cottage cheese during induction. I believe the 2002 version does not. YMMV.

As for peanut butter--don't waste your money on LC versions. As someone has already pointed out, Natural peanut butter (Smucker's for one) contains only peanuts and salt. No extra sugar, hydrogenated oils, or anything. But save it for later. It's peanuts. And a little goes a long way.

relliott1
Tue, May-02-06, 13:04
Yep, natural peanut butter all the way. There is a really delicious one sold at Costco.

Meg_S
Tue, May-02-06, 13:29
Natural PB!! It's so wonderful...tasty and just a tablespoonful or two is enough to fill you as a convenient "emergency" meal. I used to carry a jar around with me in my purse for those times I would be stuck at a mealtime, or hungry.. or even just when everyone else is munching on something I would want to eat but knew I shouldn't. My friends at school knew me for my peanutbutter and hardboiled eggs.. it became a running joke. Heheh they all wanted bites of the butter though.

The peanut butter is safe if you can stick to just a spoon or two per day. If you're the type to eat a whole jar, wait it out.

DGO1223
Tue, May-02-06, 13:32
Yep, no sense buying any special pricey LC peanut butter; the natural ones are the same, even better in my opinion.

The ones advertised as LC are just a $$$ gimmick.

Citruskiss
Tue, May-02-06, 13:38
Natural PB!! It's so wonderful...tasty and just a tablespoonful or two is enough to fill you as a convenient "emergency" meal. I used to carry a jar around with me in my purse for those times I would be stuck at a mealtime, or hungry.. or even just when everyone else is munching on something I would want to eat but knew I shouldn't. My friends at school knew me for my peanutbutter and hardboiled eggs.. it became a running joke. Heheh they all wanted bites of the butter though.

The peanut butter is safe if you can stick to just a spoon or two per day. If you're the type to eat a whole jar, wait it out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This reminds me of how I'd stash a serving or two of Babybel cheese in my purse back when I first started induction and didn't know "how" I'd get my food if I was going to be out and about. I got laughed at too...

:D

alahna86
Tue, May-02-06, 20:09
One teaspoon full is about enough if I savor it long enough; it's been a lifesaver when "snack attack" strikes thus far. I'll monitor my ketosis and try natural next time. Thanks for the input!

LilaCotton
Wed, May-03-06, 00:27
Go here: http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/acceptable-foods and look at the Other Foods That Are Acceptable During Induction section. Cream cheese is definitely on that list.

And I concur about going with the natural peanut butters. The LC stuff is a complete gimmick as are many of the LC products I've seen on store shelves. Most of the time their regular counter-parts have better ingredients and no real significant carb differences.

Unfortunately, most of the good LC products have disappeared off of our local store shelves and the gimmicks are still there. Ugh!