PDA

View Full Version : CAN you go less then 20 grams of carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gogirlinc
Sat, Apr-29-06, 12:35
NEwBIE QUESTION:

Can you go below the 20 g of carbs without something happening to you like a heart attack for something? Has anyone tried it and have you lost more weight by doing that?

Shannon

Dodger
Sat, Apr-29-06, 12:55
The orignal Atkins' plan (1972) was 5 grams of carb. That was upped to 20 grams in the revised book. I doubt that there is a significant difference in weight loss between the two levels of carbs as both are very little carbs. Both levels are healthy for the heart and other body organs.

MissSherry
Sat, Apr-29-06, 12:57
I go 0 carbs but I am NOT doing Atkins (though I have in the past). You won't die :) Good luck on your journey...

gogirlinc
Sat, Apr-29-06, 13:11
Thank you Sherry, Your stats are amazing!

jmscott74
Sat, Apr-29-06, 13:34
If you go without any carbs, that means you're going without any veggies. Bad choice. The trick to low-carb is to find the highest amount of carbs you can have without going out of ketosis. 20 is a guide, because that's the level for a lot of people. Some people can have 40-50 or more and not go out of ketosis. You will gain nothing by completely eliminating carbs, and you will severely limit your food choices and your nutrition that way.

MissSherry
Sat, Apr-29-06, 13:44
If you go without any carbs, that means you're going without any veggies. Bad choice.
By your opinions. For me it is the best way :)

jmscott74
Sat, Apr-29-06, 14:51
By your opinions. For me it is the best way :)

I don't claim to be any sort of nutrition expert, and your stats are quite good, but I have yet to hear of any credible source state that eliminating vegetables from your diet is a good idea.

gogirlinc
Sun, Apr-30-06, 05:41
[COLOR=Magenta]I read a post on aol, and the girl said she lost so much weight from just meat and cheese everyday. Shes like a size 1!

The truth is, I will add a bit of veggies. I just gotta go shoppin. I just gotta think of some yummy way to make them. I will probobly put cheese over them .Does anyone have any veggie recipes that they just cant live without?

Its early now, but ive had a piece of salami and a cup of coffee with heavy cream.

I promised myself I wouldnt weigh myself again until Friday. My face is getting smaller, and my belly is reallly starting to go down...unbelievable, this is fast....i LUUV fast!

I have so much energy!!! I started dancing last night to Shakira, i would hope, high impact because I was sweating a lot, and jumping around for 35 minutes. I hope that counts for high impact aerobics (Im sure it does)
OMG I think im actually going to be thin again!!
Im so excited!!!! :wave: :D

Rsmry
Sun, Apr-30-06, 08:01
Yay, gogirlinc!

Was reading further last night in DANDR, and Dr Atkins advises rather strongly against a protein/fat fast unless the person is extremely metabolically resistant and preferably under a doctor's care. He said for other people it can be dangerous. As for me, I am thrilled with ten pounds (4½ kg) in ten days on the regular Induction plan!

Rosemary

MissSherry
Sun, Apr-30-06, 08:05
That is his Fat Fast. That is not what some here do though by cutting all carbs. 2 diff. plans :)

His original book had you limit carbs to 5 a day. Though his induction then was only a week. He then switched to a more readily accepted induction and plan.

Betsy-StL
Sun, Apr-30-06, 08:14
NEwBIE QUESTION:

Can you go below the 20 g of carbs without something happening to you like a heart attack for something? Has anyone tried it and have you lost more weight by doing that?

Shannon
Hi Shannon :wave:
I've kept my carbs below 20g for most of the 8 months I've been on Atkins. Usually between 10 and 15, sometimes as low as 7 or 8.

Good Luck on your low carb journey.

Betsy :D

ProfGumby
Sun, Apr-30-06, 10:39
I believe the meat and egg fast to be a good way to go real low in carbs. It might be very similar to your Carnivore diet MissSherry. I have done the M&E fast with good results, but I end up craving my veggies and salads as well as my protein shakes and cheese...so I only do it once in a while as a stall breaker, or to compensate for a day or two of higher carb intake.

Definately a YMMV thing...and one of personal tastes....