PDA

View Full Version : Problem Sleeping

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

klindley77
Mon, Apr-17-06, 08:54
Hello :) :wave:
I was wondering why I am having a difficult time sleeping ? and why at night when I am tring to sleep , my body aches everywhere? feels like I worked out every muscle in my body. Any advise would surely help: !!

Thanks so much in advance ! for all your replys :agree:

ardentluma
Mon, Apr-17-06, 09:04
This will pass. You need potassium suppliments, maybe. I will drink an atkin's shake if I have pain. As far as sleeping, I had that problem. I just had way too much energy! As you body gets used to this WOL, things will get better and return to normal.

MeBLady
Mon, Apr-17-06, 09:19
Hello :) :wave:
I was wondering why I am having a difficult time sleeping ? and why at night when I am tring to sleep , my body aches everywhere? feels like I worked out every muscle in my body. Any advise would surely help: !!

Thanks so much in advance ! for all your replys :agree:

A potassium/Magnesium/Calcium combo supplement should cure your woes.....very common problem, especially in the beginning of starting a LC WOE. This combo supplement is recommended, automatically, even in the absence of your symptoms.

Barou
Mon, Apr-17-06, 09:48
"A potassium/Magnesium/Calcium combo supplement should cure your woes"

Where do you find these kind of supplements? In what type of products? Where?

Thanks

MeBLady
Mon, Apr-17-06, 13:19
"A potassium/Magnesium/Calcium combo supplement should cure your woes"

Where do you find these kind of supplements? In what type of products? Where?

Thanks

I get mine at GNC....they have a "Potassium Plus 99" that is $3.99 a bottle. You'll probably need to take four of those a day, at least through the first month or so of LCing -- possibly longer if you do cardio exercise. After that, you can take 2 pills a day and use a no salt substitute.

mike_d
Mon, Apr-17-06, 19:12
I get mine at GNC....they have a "Potassium Plus 99" that is $3.99 a bottle. You'll probably need to take four of those a day, at least through the first month or so of LCing -- possibly longer if you do cardio exercise. After that, you can take 2 pills a day and use a no salt substitute.

Wide awake for much of the first couple weeks-- it made me cut out coffee though :o

I found it at Dollar General $2 Rexall label. For KCl I use Morton's Lite Salt.

Barou
Tue, Apr-18-06, 08:30
What is KCI?

mike_d
Tue, Apr-18-06, 09:53
[potassium chloride] a chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies. Potassium chloride occurs pure in nature as the mineral sylvite and is found combined in many minerals and in brines and ocean water." -- encyclopedia.com

One thing I use to help sleep most every night is plain benadryl, the allergy medicine. Dr. Atkins recommended melatonin; I have tried that, but I like benadryl better-- just don't combine them.

WyoDiva
Wed, Apr-19-06, 22:01
Here's my experience...and I am not a scientist or a doctor. Just a keen observer of my own body and its reactions, and a rabid student of LC living....

Your first few weeks/induction, you are withdrawing from your use of/addiction to carbs (sugar, wheat, starchy vegetables, etc.). When your body withdraws from your overuse of any substance (booze, drugs, bad food), it struggles to make you NOT withdraw. It doesn't want the fun to stop! Your body 'revs up' as it struggles to function without the afore-mentioned food/booze/drugs. A side effect of that 'revving' is poor sleep until the withdrawal period is over.

I wish someone had told me this (not very scientific) information about carb withdrawals early on. I read about it months later. I had freaked out when I didn't hardly sleep the first few weeks of LC eating. Even now, a year into LC, if I eat too many carbs in a day, I'll be sleepless that night. And, I'll be very restless sleeping the next few days as I scale back my carb intact to the acceptable range for me (25-30 ECC per day).

Hang in there - it gets MUCH better. :)

MeBLady
Thu, Apr-20-06, 07:00
One thing I use to help sleep most every night is plain benadryl, the allergy medicine. Dr. Atkins recommended melatonin; I have tried that, but I like benadryl better-- just don't combine them.

I agree with you about the benadryl....that stuff will put you to sleep!

Every night tho? IMO, better to find the reason behind your insomnia so a sleeping supplement won't be needed.

I had problems sleeping before LCing, but not since I started this WOE, even during induction.