PDA

View Full Version : I'm new too!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sukiyaki
Sat, Apr-15-06, 14:31
Hello Everyone!!

My name is Susan. I'm 36 years old, from Columbus, Ohio. I weigh aprox 355 and have an ultimate goal weight of 140 give or take 10 lbs, depending on my dress size at goal. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16 after starving myself and STILL gaining 10 lbs every month. The Dr at the time said I could take BC if I wanted a cycle, but otherwise I would just continue to gain weight and there was nothing I could do about it. I never did any major diet efforts because I didnt think they would work.

My brother came home with info on the atkins plan a few years ago. Ironically we had the book published in the 70's in our home already. The plan made sense, and researching I learned it had helped women with PCOS lose weight (also all the health issues associated with PCOS I wasnt aware of) so I tried it out. I lost about 25 lbs in a month, but with family issues, stress and poor planning I wasnt able to keep it up. The weight didnt start coming back until over a year or more later, so I believe it is a sound plan, and my results weren't just loss of "water weight". I have been saying since that I would start up again, but havent as of yet. My mom recently became ill and I've found that I'm eating because of stress, which is something I normally dont do, and this has caused me to gain even more weight.

I am gearing up to start again, but want to do a modified version of atkins. I've been hearing a lot about the IR diet, which says atkins worked so well, not because of the high protein, but because it provided adequate protein. I dont think I will lose as quickly, but I think I have a better chance of maintaining the lifestyle and not getting bored or off track because of poor planning.

I havent purchased the IR book yet, but plan to soon. I am VERY inspired by the changes the members of this forum have made and hope to one day be an inspiration to someone else. I'm open to any tips or advice you have to share!

Thanks for having me!!

~Susan

AuntJoyce
Sat, Apr-15-06, 18:07
Hi and welcome! Yes, I think you are right about not eating too much protein. You need to eat adequate protein but not too much. Replace carbs with fats. Eat good low starch veggies.

In Protein Power, Dr. Eades writes a lot about insulin resistance. He suggest staying below 60 grams of carbs. For the initial intervention phase, he recommends 30 (although I guess in his Protein Power Lifeplan he increased it to 40). I am not familiar with IR.

I am eating between 20 and 30 grams of carbs. I cannot eat bread, fruit or nuts -- they just make me crave more. I do not eat sweetened things (even artifical or stevia) very often because they make me crave more. I'm not losing weight very fast, but I feel great and am keeping my blood sugar low.

I wish you success! There are a lot of helpful people here.

Sukiyaki
Sun, Apr-16-06, 12:25
Thanx for the welcome. I was reading some of the other posts, and it looks like it may just be better for me to do the atkins. When I did it I did have higher fats, but they werent good quality fats like organic virgin coconut and olive oil.

The IR diet states that if you eat 7 grams of protein for every 14 grams of carbs and no more thatn 30 carbs in a two hour period that you wont get the insulin spike. You basically have to link your carbs to protein. I thought that would give me more variety, but slower loss, but now I'm undecided. I will research more before I make a final decision. I may just combine the two, but I know I need to be careful and not do too many carbs and to stick to the good quality ones. I know on atkins, when I did do small cheats, it didnt knock me out of ketosis but carb free candy was the end of me. Sugar alcohols just made me crave and eat uncontrollably. I also couldnt do splenda. I could feel the rush just like I had had sugar and would get tired. When I HAD to have a Wendy's biggie iced tea, I used sweet n low, ( i know-BAD!!) and at other times fructose with no problem. I will see how things go. Again thanx for the warm welcome!! :wave: <<I LOVE this smiley!!