PDA

View Full Version : Of Which Sugars??? - Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

prickly
Sat, Apr-15-06, 12:54
Hi there. I need a little help deciphering the packaging of things here. I shall use an example:

In 100g of product
Carbohydrate: 72.5 grams
of which sugars: 1.5 grams

Does this mean that the food has 1.5 grams net carbs and is therefore ok to eat? Or does it mean that it has 71 grams net carbs and that I shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole?

Please help A.S.A.P!

MeBLady
Sat, Apr-15-06, 14:23
Hi there. I need a little help deciphering the packaging of things here. I shall use an example:

In 100g of product
Carbohydrate: 72.5 grams
of which sugars: 1.5 grams

Does this mean that the food has 1.5 grams net carbs and is therefore ok to eat? Or does it mean that it has 71 grams net carbs and that I shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole?

Please help A.S.A.P!

It looks like in this sample, the product would have 72.5 grams of carbs and shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.

Subtracting fiber from the carb count results in your net carb count.

You don't subtract sugars from the carb count. "Textbook" opinion will allow you to subtract "sugar alcohols" from the carb count because they don't have the effect on the body as refined sugars, but be wary. Sugar alcohols are found in LC sweet treats such as LC ice cream, LC candy, etc. Not adviseable in weight loss mode, definitely intended in moderation once you hit maintenance and do cause side effects in some people.

Elizellen
Sat, Apr-15-06, 14:28
Are you in UK?

If so the carbohydrates number is the net count after the fibre has been deducted.

The fibre count will be listed in a different section of the nutrition label.

The 'of which sugars' number just tells you how many carbs of the net carb count are sugars.

so for your example it has 72.5 carbs per 100 grams of food and should be avoided if the normal serving size is 100 grams!
If the serving size is say 5 grams then it would still be a fairly high count (3.6 carbs per 5 grams) so probably not an induction-legal food.

Out of curiosity, what food was it?

prickly
Sat, Apr-15-06, 15:18
Corn pasta - I guessed that due to it being pasta in the first place then it wasn't a great thing to have, but wasn't sure. Oh well, I shall have to wait for the disgustingly slowed down Easter delivery of my low carb pasta instead. Delivery has a week long holiday due to Easter - as an atheist that seriously annoys me. I want my SpagBol!

cnmLisa
Sat, Apr-15-06, 15:43
Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole!!!

JandLsMom
Sun, Apr-16-06, 08:21
pasta is high in carbs! They do sell a low carb pasta called dreamfields if you want to eat some pasta, try that!

Elizellen
Sun, Apr-16-06, 10:23
If they are made of corn then you ought not to be eating them on Atkins induction, whatever the carb count!
You need to read the ingredients list of any 'potential' food to make sure ALL its ingredients are included on the 'allowed foods' list of you want to do induction 'by the book'

prickly
Mon, Apr-17-06, 02:25
I am not going 'by the book' as it were - I am using the same method of casual carb counting as I used last time I did the diet (see my introduction thread for more about that). I do not possess a set of scales and am going solely by my tape measure. Seeing as I have already shed an inch and a half from my waist in my first week, I think I'm doing alright.

I mainly joined this board for recipe swapping, but thought I'd ask this question out of curiosity. Thanks everyone for your help!

Elizellen
Mon, Apr-17-06, 08:43
Sorry - as your plan in your profile says 'Atkins' I assumed you were trying to follow the Atkins rules for induction!!

prickly
Tue, Apr-18-06, 02:06
I am basically, I mean I am keeping to below 20 carbs. I'm just altering it same as I did last time which had no adverse effects on my loss.

For the record, I will be buying some scales on saturday so I can actually weigh in instead of just measuring.

~*Judey*~