PDA

View Full Version : counting carbs and sugars?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Mally
Thu, Apr-13-06, 09:02
If a product contains 1g carb AND 1g sugar, does that count as 2g toward my total of 20 per day? I Loaned out my Atkins for life book and cannot find the answer out here in webland. Thanks in advance.

:daizy:

mike_d
Thu, Apr-13-06, 10:53
If it says total carbs = 1 and sugars 1 the total is 1. Sugar carbs are the worst though depending what they are combined with-- that gets into the concept of "glycemic load" which is beyond the scope of this message :)

bkloots
Thu, Apr-13-06, 13:03
I think it kinda depends on the product, too. Some products have "natural" sugars in them--the kind you might get from tomatoes, for instance, or a dairy substance. These aren't the same as "refined" sugars.

I might be all wet on this. But I'd look carefully at the total list of ingredients, and try to decide just what the sugar is. On the other hand, if it's some sort of processed food--like a nutrition bar or a mix--I wouldn't eat it.

Mally
Thu, Apr-13-06, 14:07
Thanks for the replies. My main concern is what is listed for a pickle. I have yet to find one that doesnt have 1g of sugars.

Ptrcmcc6
Fri, Apr-14-06, 02:09
B & G makes sugar-free pickles along with a few other companies out there. I think Mt. Olive is another company, also. I just happen to have a jar of the B & G sweet gherkins in my fridge and they are 1 carb - 0 sugars. They are sweetened with Splenda. I'm assuming that is where they get the 1 carb from? We have them in the "room temperature" pickle section of the grocery store where I work. I say "room temperature" because we also sell "chilled" pickles in the dairy aisle. I'm in the NE though so our stores might be different than down there in the Dallas area. Do you have a Walmart in Dallas? Maybe a Walmart might carry them?

Patty

P.S. They are not bad. Just you mentioning them put me in the mood to have 1 or 2........lol. I had 2!!

Mally
Sat, Apr-15-06, 06:59
I have not heard of the brandi B and G, But I will go look next time I am in walmart. Thanks alot! :wave:

JandLsMom
Sun, Apr-16-06, 08:22
Mt Olive sells both bread and butter pickles and sweet relish that both contain splenda instead of sugar and are listed as 0 carb!