PDA

View Full Version : easy salad dressings?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sheryls1
Wed, Apr-12-06, 21:07
I found this Kraft zero carb french dressing but can't find it again. I use it almost every day with lunch. I am getting paranoid that I can't find it becasue it was too good to be true.I am alomost out of it. Anyone know anything about it? Also, I love balsmic vinegar. Could I use a little with olive oil as a dressing or I have to stick to red vinager? I haven't used any but would love to. Any, very easy, fast salad dressing suggestions I could throw on my salad at work?
Thanks

southbel
Wed, Apr-12-06, 21:26
I would stay clear of the balsamic vinegar because it has added sugars. If you have Ken's Steakhouse dressings in your area, they quite a variety of excellent low carb and no carb dressings.

Since I am allergic to eggs, I make my own dressing. Very easy. Red vinegar, olive oil, seasonings (if I have them) and a bit of Gulden's mustard. It makes a nice mustard vinagrette. Also, if you want, put some bacon pieces in there and warm it for a few seconds in the microwave and you have some hot bacon vinagrette. I would also advocate throwing in just a tiny bit of Splenda. It helps cut the acidity of the dressing and you'll find it tastes just like the pre-made (psst...sugar is their big secret ingredient).

Rachael71
Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:15
I am not in induction any longer, so I don't know if this is induction friendly. But, I make my own every day.
A generous amount of olive oil
2 minced garlic cloves
diced fresh basil
diced fresh oregano
3 shallots, diced fine
and one squeezed lemon

Very refreshing and nummy to us!

Alleine
Thu, Apr-13-06, 17:19
Bah balsamic vinegar aint that bad :p I can't live without it.

mike_d
Thu, Apr-13-06, 23:22
I make thousand island with mayo and LC ketchup, also oil and vinegar with plain spices is good-- I use the malt vinegar. I posted a vinegar sauce in the recipe section for sauces. Its good on meat and veggies.

Elizellen
Fri, Apr-14-06, 07:25
Bah balsamic vinegar aint that bad :p I can't live without it.According to the label on the one I have it has 8 carbs per serving!!

It is made of fermented grapes, so I suppose becomes 'legal' on Atkins 'other fruits' rung/level of OWL.

caitietee
Sun, Apr-16-06, 17:08
White vinegar + mustard + aspartame to taste...

if you like honey mustard!

Yes I Will
Sun, Apr-16-06, 17:47
Sheryl,

Being in MA you might have a Price Chopper around you. They carry a good selection of 0 carb dressing. They even carry Wright's Chicken Farms dressing. That is 0 carb. This is in the regular salad dressing aisle. In the low carb aisle I have purchased several of the 0 carb dressings and they were all good.

Ken's regular Italian dressing is 1 carb.

I have turned into such a lable reader.

The Big Y carries a very poor selection of any thing low carb.

sheryls1
Sun, Apr-16-06, 18:12
Thanks. I don't have a Price Chopper near me :( I'll look in the low carb aisle. I have found very little available. Nothing in Stop and Shop or Shaws. Kind of disappointing. I don't know if I am looking in the right place. I will ask next time I go in.
Thnaks all.

caitietee
Sun, Apr-16-06, 18:16
Actually, I just thought I would mention that I was at Shaws the other day and saw couple of South Beach Diet kraft salad dressings (they were lowcarb/lowcal), carb well, and some seven seas dressings that I had never seen before...

Yes I Will
Mon, Apr-17-06, 09:39
CHRISTMAS TREE SHOPS

I just got back from there. 2 for $3.00. Balsamic Vinegar and several other salad dressings that are sugar free - carb free and only about 90 calories. Two of the flavors are ones I bought at the Price Chopper last week that were very good.

Remember if it is good on salad it is also good on steak or chicken as a marinade.