PDA

View Full Version : Newly hypolglycemic...Need to LC.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SkyIan
Tue, Apr-11-06, 15:30
So I hae been offically diagnosed with Hypoglycemia.
My doctor wants me to do Low Carb.But doesnt really tell me what plan to do.
Apparently I need to watch carbs and such because I am insulin resistant.(is that a nice way to say I have a reason for being fat?LOL)
So I have done SBD before and lost 15 pounds.But It was rather restrictive.With Atkins types dont you get bored to death of meat,cheese and eggs???
I have to do my shopping on Thursday or Friday.But I want to have a real plain down by then..Eventually I need to lose about 50 pounds.But want to lose as much as I can by July...I have a lot going on then with reunions,wedding and such.
Any thoughts?
Evette

SunnyCarol
Tue, Apr-11-06, 19:20
LOL :lol: I'm one of "those Atkins types" and no I never get bored with my food. I could not always make that statement. I had to change my attitude--basically change my "Can'ts" to "Cans". It's all about mind-set.

I've been doing Atkins for about seven months, and I've lost 74 pounds and I am enjoying food more than I ever have. What other diet have you ever been on that you don't have to count calories or fat grams? Lose your cravings? Never go hungry, if you do it right? I eat way more than just eggs, meat and cheese. And, there are many recipes that you can't tell are low-carb. I take stuff to family functions and everyone eats them up without ever knowing they are eating "diet food"!

A lot of positive self-talk goes a long way. You have a very good reason to change your way of eating and low-carb is a delicious way to do it. It really is! Just read some of the success stories on here. None of them ever said they were bored with the food.

As to it being a restrictive diet--yes it is. You have to restrict something to change your bad eating habits. Low-carb is the only effective way to overcome insulin resistance, so make the best of it. Your body, your choice.

Sunny!

black57
Tue, Apr-11-06, 21:54
If you explore the low carb spectrum, it is hard to imagine anyone becoming bored with Atkins. Please, please, please, stop thinking of this as an egg meat and cheese diet. Stop listening to the media. Read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and you will see this. I love my meat, cheese, eggs, cream. But I also love my veggies: mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, spinach, romaine lettuce,asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower,swiss chard, collard greens, turnip roots,jicama,

fruits: avocadoes, bell peppers ( especially the red ones ), raspberries, strawberries, blueberries,blackberries,cantalope, honeydew mellon, cucumbers, zuchini

Plus, I have had hypoglycemic symptoms for years. I have had blood tests that repeatedly came back negative. Diabetes runs in my family. When I began eating the foods that I have listed here, my hypo symptoms vanished. This includes migraines and itchy skin that never even occured to me were symptoms. It wasn't until they dissappeared and I did a google search that I realized the connection. My family are not low carbers but they have no problem eating my food, with a side of fries or rice, of course. It isn't necessary but all of our vegetables have come from the produce section of the grocery store. I only go down the canned food aisle when I want to make my low carb 3 bean salad with green beans, wax beans and black soy beans. I have never eaten so many varieties of vegetables in my life. I have made casseroles, salads, fritatas,cheesecake, mashed cauliflower with cheddar and sour cream is heavenly. I can make gravies and sauces in a way that won't impact by blood sugar. I even eat fried foods safely. Make no mistake, I alos love my meat and I eat it with pride!

Not only is this nutritious, it is also very tasty. I hope that you can discover the possibilities of low carb.