PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Candy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

christib
Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:14
Wondering if anyone else stall when consuming low carb candy. Hershey's makes a zero carb white chocolate Reeses cup the I enjoy eating but I stop loosing weight everytime I try them. Its not that I eat them everyday but I do keep them around the house for something to snack on over the weekend. It keeps me from cheating.

I think I'm reading the Reeses label correctly?
Total Carbs 23
Fiber 4
Sugar Alcohol 19
= o net carb ??

montanasun
Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:18
Wondering if anyone else stall when consuming low carb candy. Hershey's makes a zero carb white chocolate Reeses cup the I enjoy eating but I stop loosing weight everytime I try them. Its not that I eat them everyday but I do keep them around the house for something to snack on over the weekend. It keeps me from cheating.

I think I'm reading the Reeses label correctly?
Total Carbs 23
Fiber 4
Sugar Alcohol 19
= o net carb ?? I would say the sugar alcohol is causing the problem or the sugar replacement they use in it. Some people have to count the sugar alcohol in the carb count in what they eat because it stalls them.

MissieA
Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:19
Low carb candy stalls me too.....The real funny thing is that in the past, when I have been doing LC, I have been able to lose weight consuming the LC candy, but not this time. Stalls me completely now. My husband can eat it and still lose. My advice is to stay away from it even if you do still lose, because it doesn't help to change your way of eating but becomes a substitute for carbs.

Marcia Mae
Tue, Apr-11-06, 16:58
These sugar free treats ususally stall me too - I think it's because of the extra calories consumed when I eat these. The other day I had 6 pieces of sugar free "turtle candies" - which would not have been many net carbs, but they did add up to an extra 600 calories!

Lesle
Wed, Apr-12-06, 05:21
I avoid them too. the sugar alcohols really stall me. And to me they don't taste good enough to make it worth while.

christib
Wed, Apr-12-06, 07:26
I manged to be off of them for a week now and weighed this morning. I've lost 3 pounds.

Marcia Mae
Wed, Apr-12-06, 09:19
Good for you Christi! I am going to stop buying these candies too. We always have them in the house because my boyfriend loves them and he is still losing like crazy. I usually have one after supper because I still feel like a need some kind of dessert. I guess I figured one candy a day is better than eating a whole bag of cotton candy or sour patch kids - like I used to before low carbing. I haven't been stalling, just losing slow - like one pound a week.

It's funny my son likes these candies - he calls them "fart candies".

Vpeach
Mon, Aug-14-06, 17:02
I had to get my bf to take the sf treats and ice cream out of our fridge. He is going to eat the ice cream but he is hiding the sf candy from me

I'm so bloated right now! It stinks. I'm not even going to weigh myeslf til after TOM.

Blondie888
Mon, Aug-14-06, 17:32

They could use that for marketing, but unfortunately, truth doesn't sell! :lol:

Demokat
Mon, Aug-14-06, 17:51

More than fart for some of us, I'm afraid. :blush:

Maltitol is the ingredient in most of the chocolate candies that cause intestinal distress. I stay away from low carb candies as a result of being bound to the toilet after indulging in Russell Stover NetCarb Mint Patties one day. They were delicious, but that pretty much cured me of any fake candy cravings. I stay away from sugar alcohols for the most part, and if I'm craving something sweet, I either eat fruit or make something with stevia and/or a very small amount of sugar alcohols.

Marcia Mae
Mon, Aug-14-06, 18:03
So it's the sugar alcohol that causes the gas, bloating, etc.... Does anyone know any SF candies that aren't made with sugar alcohol and that don't cause these horrible side effects. I even get gassy from chewing SF gum lately. I never used to before, I used to chew like a pack at a time and it never effected me. Now I can't even chew one piece and I get all bloated and gassy. Can you become more sensitive to sugar alcohol the more you consume it?

liddie01
Mon, Aug-14-06, 18:37
"eat well be well" chocolate bars have no SAs and are sweetend with splenda

potatofree
Mon, Aug-14-06, 20:30
The stalling problem can well be the calories, but some people do supposedly digest more of the SA's than others, instead of having them pass through without affecting your blood sugar as the makers CLAIM... basically meaning you need to count more of them as regular carbs, and there's no accurate way to know how MANY to count.

liddie01
Mon, Aug-14-06, 20:33
and they make me so sick, plus they do make me have cravings, although the splenda chocolate bars do not.

Vpeach
Mon, Aug-14-06, 21:25
I had horrible cravings after 2 days of eating SF candies. I had to tell them to go away because I REFUSE to start Induction all over again!

but now I'm afraid that I might have to anyway...since I think the SA messed me up or something. Or does these feeling pass after a few normal days of lcing?

potatofree
Mon, Aug-14-06, 22:12
I'm sure they'll pass without dire measures if you get rid of the candy, but sometimes people do find dropping their carb count back a little can help speed things along.

kbfunTH
Mon, Aug-14-06, 22:19
These sugar free treats ususally stall me too - I think it's because of the extra calories consumed when I eat these. The other day I had 6 pieces of sugar free "turtle candies" - which would not have been many net carbs, but they did add up to an extra 600 calories!

You hit the nail on the head!

Marcia Mae
Tue, Aug-15-06, 05:53
The stalling problem can well be the calories, but some people do supposedly digest more of the SA's than others, instead of having them pass through without affecting your blood sugar as the makers CLAIM... basically meaning you need to count more of them as regular carbs, and there's no accurate way to know how MANY to count.

I have a blood sugar tester, and I tested some of these candies on how they affect MY body (it may affect others' differently). I found most of them did raise my blood sugar, even when they were supposededly not "passed" (causing bloating and gas). My blood sugar before eating Sugar Free Nips was 94 and an hour after eating a few put my blood sugar up to 119. Usually when I eat a WHOLE MEAL of allowed foods, my blood sugar doesn't go up at ALL, but just a few of these candies will.

ardentluma
Tue, Aug-15-06, 08:40
I actually love SF candy, especially the russell Stover. But man, they are so not worth the belly ache.

Vpeach
Tue, Aug-15-06, 16:44
My blood sugar before eating Sugar Free Nips was 94 and an hour after eating a few put my blood sugar up to 119. Usually when I eat a WHOLE MEAL of allowed foods, my blood sugar doesn't go up at ALL, but just a few of these candies will.

Well, that stinks! That is a good reason to limit/eliminate them...